Wharfedale W90

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was wondering if anyone knows the cap values for the crossover of the Wharfedale W90. I just got a pair of these and they seem like they have a vail over them. Seller said they needed the caps replaced. They are 8 ohm speakers. There are 2 caps per crossover. I am not sure if they were original. One was 8uf and one 24uf. They were Electrolytic Bipolar's and I replaced them with oil caps and by passed with teflon caps and cleaned the L-Pads. It got better but I still have both L-Pads cranked all the way over to get a good mix on the sound. While looking on this forum and the internet I found a link that discussed the crossover for these speakers and it said they used a 7uf and a 12uf cap set up? 7uf or 8 uf ok 12uf or 24uf not so much. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

W-90

Desperate Audio,
Can you let me know if the 12 inch speaker in the W-90 has a bakelite spider?
I'm under thee impression it may be the same as a 12 CS/AL full range speaker.
I believe the bakelite spider vs. the corrugated spider is the main distinction of the 12 CS/AL (or 12 FS/AL) outside of the large magnet.
dobias

I have both W70 radio people Wharfedales from 1967 and a set of 1964 W90's that I've not changed caps on since buying them 6 years ago. I haven't looked in the W70's recently but today opened the W90's to get the specs on the caps which are two blue metal axial HUNTS 12uf 50V DC reversible JD2976T and one smaller blue metal axial HUNTS 8uf 50V DC JD2968AF. I wanted to see if there was a better way to go when changing them out other than HUNTS, since I can't find anything good said about their capacitors on the net? I also don't know if these are oil or what??

You should all take a look at the Ebay listing Item number:200959099002 at the Low Boy W-90s. These look great with removable grills and the flared top edge on the cabinets. San Diego with about 3 days left on the listing! Each cabinet has 2 x12" woofers with one having the cork insert and the mids look to be 6" type with tweeters 4" purple type. They look like they're made of plywood also, VERY NICE!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.