litres to box size

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Take the size in litres, multiply by 1000 and then take the cube root. That gives you the internal dimension in cm of a cube the right size.

If you take that number and multiply by 1.618 and divide it by 1.618 you get the dimensions in cm for a classic golden ratio box.

I will leave other shapes as an exercise :)

dave

A cubic foot is a three dimensional area of space bounded by the dimensions of one foot by one foot by one foot.

.....soooooooo

A cubic litre has to be an area of space bounded by the dimensions of one litre by one litre by one litre.

Seems quite logical yet that doesn`t seem to work.

Coming into this from being comfortable in the antiquated Imperial system I found it impossible to wrap my mind around this, so I stick with building my cabinets in inches and foots. When volume is defined as cubic litres I have to de-convert into cubic foots. All this converting back and forth is a royal pain down around the cubic hairs.

sorry, but no areas of space...

Regions, yes, but an area refers to 2-D bounded surfaces. "Space" usually means 3-D. and is suitable as a volume. Every litre is approximately 60 cu. inches. or 1000 cubic centimetres.

take your volume in cubic centimetres and take the cube root of it. Times that value by:

[sqrt(5)+1]/2, and also by [sqrt(5)-1]/2

there's your dims, if a golden rectangle is desired for an enclosure (as Dave pointed out, the numbers are close to 1.62, and .62 respectively).

Those will be really tiny enclosures:
7.1cm X 11.5cm X 18.6cm

planet10 said:

In Canada a football field is 110 yds, in the US 100 yds. I understand that soccer & rugby pitcjes are variable in size.

dave

Not being one to follow sports at all I was not aware of this blatant inconsistency in Canadian tolerance for lack of metric conversion. How is it allowed that a Canadian football field is not now 100 meters (or 110 metres) long?

We are still sold plywood in 4x8 foot dimensions but the thickness is now manufactured in millimeters. Goofy.

Here are two deep question for ya. How many dogs in a dog pound ? What is a dog pound in metric?

Just pondering the obscure while I sip my morning coffee and look out my window at my back meter. :D

rcavictim said:
A cubic foot is a three dimensional area of space bounded by the dimensions of one foot by one foot by one foot.

.....soooooooo

A cubic litre has to be an area of space bounded by the dimensions of one litre by one litre by one litre.

Seems quite logical yet that doesn`t seem to work.

Coming into this from being comfortable in the antiquated Imperial system I found it impossible to wrap my mind around this, so I stick with building my cabinets in inches and foots. When volume is defined as cubic litres I have to de-convert into cubic foots. All this converting back and forth is a royal pain down around the cubic hairs.

:D

I find it fascinating that one can have the same problem with the metric system as I have with feet and inches. And cubic feet. My feet are not cubical :D

BTW there is no such thing as a "cubic litre". Litre itself is a volume measure, equivalent to "cubic foot" or "gallon".

If you desperately want the word "cubic" in the unit then use it combined with the unit of length, eg "cubic metre" (=1000 litres) or "cubic decimetre" (=1 litre).

1 cubic foot = 3.048x3.048x3.048 = 28.3 litres
1 litre = 1/28.3 = 0.0353 cuft.

So a box of 56.6 litres is 56.6 * 0.0353 = 2.0 cuft

A box of 3 cuft = 3*28.3 litres= 84.9 litres

Svante said:
No. Nono...

Svante,

I realize I wrote 10 cubic centimetres instead of 10 cm cubed. Big difference. Thank you.

planet10 said:
In Canada a football field is 110 yds, in the US 100 yds.

In Canada a football field is 150 yds. In the US it is 120 yards.

You overlooked the end zones as part of the field. :)

sreten said:
The obvious is to work in units of 10cm as 1litre = (10cm)^3.

(which is what CW meant I'm sure.....)

Yes, I forgot to add the parenthesis. Thanks sreten.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
damianl said:
just say i have a driver needing a box volume of Eg. "1.53 Litr" how do i work out the dimensions. im new to this have only ever used kits.

(1.53*1000)/chosen internal box height in cm. What you get you divide it again / chosen internal width. What is left is your internal depth in cm.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.