Brisbane meet

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
One almost finished cabinet, just screwed together at this stage so I can make sure everything fits 110% before I glue it all up.

IMG_369205.jpg

The temptation was too great, can't get this far and not see what it looks like with all the drivers in it.

IMG_370417.jpg

Baffle for cab #2 in the process of being glued up.

IMG_369811.jpg

I would like one day to meet the person responsible for have the "good idea" of truncating the baskets and putting the flat edges in the cast frames. It makes them a royal pain in the butt to recess the drivers flush.
I had to cut, sand, shape, file and glue 16 of these little buggers.

IMG_371309.jpg

External crossover box. The wiring is just temporary and that's my excuse for the mess (and I'm sticking to it).

IMG_418515.jpg

The naked cabinet, drivers screwed in and wired up and listening to some Planet Drum in mono. Mono sucks, but no sound at all sucks more.

IMG_418414.jpg

I made a few jigs, but even with a 1/4" diameter router bit, it put too much of a radius on the junction from the curve to the straight section and didn't look as good, which is why I ended up going with the fillets instead as they give the nice sharp intersection. I probably spent more time playing around with that side of things than on anything else with the cabinets.

Christening of the Elsinores

To anyone local following this thread, this is an open invitation to all to come around to my place at Joyner and help me annoy the neighbours from around 2pm til late this Saturday (3-11-07).

Bring whatever music you like and any equipment/ cables you wish to try. I only have a very modest and old cd player and an AVR and it's just sitting on the floor so its easy to change things around.

The gas bottle for the bbq is full so hanging around until late in the evening is not a problem either.

If you shoot me a pm, I will let you know my address and a contact number.

Rob.

I had just one speaker running for about a week, mainly in the background while I was doing other things, but when I did actually take a break and sit down with a cold beer in hand and listen to it, I understand what you mean. It was perfectly "listenable" (if such a word exists). The most surprising part for me was that you could clearly hear/ interpret the depth of the soundstage. Having not listened to anything in mono before, I wasn't expecting that to be there, I had always just assumed (wrongly) that was a "stereo" effect.

This grasshopper obviously still has a lot to learn.

Hey Rob, you're not at work right now inappropriately surfing the net for all things hifi are you?

Me too. If I was an employee I'd be forced to sack myself!

Have fun on Saturday afternoon. Shame I have that 40th to go to. I looked up Joyner to see where it is, but probably a bit far for me to rush to afterwards.

obiwan said:
Hey Rob, you're not at work right now inappropriately surfing the net for all things hifi are you?

Me too. If I was an employee I'd be forced to sack myself!

Have fun on Saturday afternoon. Shame I have that 40th to go to. I looked up Joyner to see where it is, but probably a bit far for me to rush to afterwards.

Well it's a good thing I don't work for you then isn't it :D

What side of town do you hail from Obiwan? I'm only 25 minutes north of the cbd.

But hey, I'm way too soft to sack anyone anyway. Believe me, even though I own the business I ain't the boss.

I live at New Farm Rob. The 40th is actually at the Croquet Club at Auchenflower from 12noon to 4.00pm. A celebration for us geriatrics that chickened out on having parties for our 40th this year.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.