Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Need help picking a mid..
Need help picking a mid..
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st August 2007, 06:47 PM   #1
PoorSound is offline PoorSound  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Need help picking a mid..

Well, I made a thread a little while back trying to get some ideas on a center channel to match my Elsinore Speaker Project. I talked to a Solen tech briefly to get some ideas. He suggested the 6.5" Peerless HDS PPB (same as elsinores) Peerless HDS tweeter (also same as elsinores) and a 4" Peerless HDS PPB midrange. Now this is my problem...to keep costs down I'm trying to fit these all onto one of the Parts Express pre made cabinets. The largest one there only has 8" high of usable front baffle, whereas I would need 9" for the above design. I HATE to have to compromise but is there a different midrange I could use that's smaller than 4" that I could use instead so it'll fit? I know everyone will suggest a different box. I don't have the right tools...the company that made my Elsinore cabinets charge LOTS and have a 3 month waiting list.

So, I'm just exploring my options here. Can anyone suggest a worthy replacement for the 4" Peerless HDS PPB midrange, that's a tiny bit smaller?

Thanks guys!
Old 31st August 2007, 09:17 PM   #2
Jay_WJ is offline Jay_WJ  United States
diyAudio Member

I think you can make them fit in the baffle. I know it has 1/2" roundover on edges but it'll be still workable.
Old 31st August 2007, 10:56 PM   #3
Andy G is offline Andy G  Australia
diyAudio Member

I have to wonder why you need the 4" mid? The 6.5" and the tweeter should work well together without it.

I am assuming you are thinking of an upright centre ?

If it is a horizontal design you have in mind, then go to a pair of the 5" HDS with HDS tweeter in MTM formation crossed as low as the HDS tweeter can manage.
Old 31st August 2007, 11:18 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hmm..well if they can fit then maybe I'll just give that a shot!

The tech at Solen suggested a horizontal design, and he suggested the 6.5s" and 4" with HDS tweeter.

I'm not exactly sure why he would suggest the mid...I think the said the horizontal speaker box, 6.5" on the sides, and mid and tweeter vertically between them had the best dispersion. He was very adamant about this. I originally came to him with a 6.5" and tweeter in a bookshelf type speaker to keep costs down etc, but he wouldn't go for it because he said the center channel is extremely important. So...here I am!

Any more suggestions?
Old 31st August 2007, 11:24 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Ahhh now I see what he was suggesting, I now understand !!!

M + t/m + M , is one of the better options for a centre channel.

so its not the 6.5's that are the problem, its the HDS tweeter sitting above the 4" mid !!

The obvious solution is to use a smaller faceplate tweeter.

The Vifa D26NC is a very nice tweeter, and an obvious tweeter for this purpose. There are probably other tweeter that would also do the job.

Another option, if you are game, would be to still use the Peerless HDS tweeter but to trim its faceplate so it matches the shape of the HDS drivers. You need to remove the faceplate to do this, but with most tweeters its isn't really a problem.

that would gain you about 1/2" or maybe a bit more, I think.
Old 31st August 2007, 11:35 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Well I was hoping to use the HDS tweeter to be matched with the Elsinores!

http://www.customanalogue.com/elsino...nore_index.htm

I'm just trying to keep everything matching as much as I can.

Now...don't mind this HORRIBLE sketch I quickly made in paint...but how unacceptable would this be? having the tweeter and mid not sitting directly above and below each other? I recall seeing an Energy speaker with this sorta layout.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 1st September 2007, 12:55 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

nope, the idea is to have them directly above each other.

Look at trimming the faceplate. It may not be as difficult as you think. Right size allen key to remove the faceplate, it should just lift off. Don't disturb the diaphagm assembly if you can help it.

The faceplate is plastic iirc, so easy enough to trim outside the screw holes on either side. Fit it up nicely next to the straight edge of the 4" HDS.

Maybe even trimming one edge would be sufficient to let you squeeze it in !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mid+tweet.jpg (33.5 KB, 263 views)
Old 1st September 2007, 01:00 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

hey that's a great idea!

thanks very much...problem solved!
Old 1st September 2007, 01:07 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Just do the faceplate removal VERY carefully. A lot of DIY guys will remove faceplates to do this, it is generally not a problem.

(this is disclaimer from me, if you stuff it up ! ;-)))
Old 1st September 2007, 02:57 AM   #10
Jay_WJ is offline Jay_WJ  United States
diyAudio Member

FYI, HDS tweeter's face plate is a thick metal cast frame.

Need help picking a mid..Hide this!Advertise here!