3 way bipole loudspeakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I think of building 3way floorstanding loudspeakers using HiVi units, I'm interested in bipole woofers design. Does the cabinet volume has to be doubled for 2 speakers in bipole design as it normally is in normal speakers placement or can it be smaller? Is it possible to mount them in cabinet with volume for only one unit (I prefer as small as possible)?
The woofers are HiVi D10G

According to standard calculations, yes, you'd need 2x the cabinet size. However, if you mount the bipole woofers magnet to magnet inside the cabinet, it's my experience that something strange happens, wave cancelation perhaps but that's only a guess, and you can get away with a cabinet 20%, or sometimes even 25% smaller, while still maintaining all the other calculations. The HiVi D10G woofer however is not a good candidate for that.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.