Modern / New generation 15" Pro drivers in hifi

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
PeteMcK said:
Ka Mate Ka Mate
Ka Ora Ka Ora
Tenei te ta ngata puhuru huru
Nana nei i tiki mai Whakawhiti te ra

A upane ka upane
A upane kaupane whiti te ra
Hi!!!

ha ha ha!

I remember once when i was in Christchurch I heard a drunken maori (I assume) riding past on the streets below singing 'Pakeha pakeha F*** you up arsiea!'

I wonder if that is what the hakka is all about ha ha.

You can always 'put your money where your mouth is' and come on out and watch the all blacks choke yet again ha ha ha.

Funny isn't it, my kiwi mates for some reason call us wannabees, hmmmm, which kinda implies a poor record at the world cup. Wonder what the actual comparisons between the nations are? who is the most successful rugby nation?

"Nope, don´t think so. Simplest motor -> unvanted noise. Could be called distortion . . . The driver is "Lite" in more than one meaning "

I don't understand. Which motor is simpler? What kind of noise?

To me it sounds like "Lite" means light (low) on performance, but the first thing you said in answer to whether 18S is soft and muddy was "no".

I'm specifically wondering about the 18S 12ND710 ;)

noah katz said:
"Nope, don´t think so. Simplest motor -> unvanted noise. Could be called distortion . . . The driver is "Lite" in more than one meaning "

I don't understand. Which motor is simpler? What kind of noise?

The ND930 motor is simpler than BMS. What I said was meant for < 100 Hz use . .

To me it sounds like "Lite" means light (low) on performance, but the first thing you said in answer to whether 18S is soft and muddy was "no".

I'm specifically wondering about the 18S 12ND710 ;) [/B]

I thought I said no to "Any idea if this is a "family trait" of the 18Sound Nd drivers?" If I didn´t, that was my intention anyways...
My experience with a 12ND710 is that it´s more hevy-duty than a 12HPL76 from B&C...

H Brett

sorry to do it this way, but for some reason I've lost your e-mail....so i can't get a hold of you.

This may interest you, (I was going to do it in the e-mail, may as well put it out for all to see!), regarding the 18 PHL.

Being a pro driver, as I mentioned earlier I think, it doesn't want to go low naturally. As a result, I use a lot of eq to get it as low as possible, and the best i can do is flat to 29 hz in the room.

In the three or four years I've had them, only once have I ever bottomed them out. I had a few peerless xls 10's laying around, so decided to use four per side as subs, aiming to get me lower and relieve the PHL's as well.

Spent the last few weeks building the buggers and getting them all dialled in ready for the bathurst weekend, and blow me down if I don't bottom them regularly!!!:hot: :hot:

I had them in large boxes (canabilized from another project) and so spent ages bracing them double layers etc. The box size was around 150l, but thought that would be OK as there are two of them.

Spent the last day throwing them in another box, around 70 l to see if that made a difference (I can eq the response in room easily enough)...it does, I can run them about four db higher before they 'clack'.

So maybe I have to go smaller yet again ggrrrhh, but the point of this (besides getting in touch with you ) is to point out the new found respect I have for the PHL's...indestructable!!

When I saw the project of yours with the IB's you have (hopefully!!) you are a bass guru and so you might be able to help me ha ha.

Anyway, get in touch.

terry j said:
H Brett

sorry to do it this way, but for some reason I've lost your e-mail....so i can't get a hold of you.
Email sent.

terry j said:
This may interest you, (I was going to do it in the e-mail, may as well put it out for all to see!), regarding the 18 PHL.

Being a pro driver, as I mentioned earlier I think, it doesn't want to go low naturally. As a result, I use a lot of eq to get it as low as possible, and the best i can do is flat to 29 hz in the room.

In the three or four years I've had them, only once have I ever bottomed them out. I had a few peerless xls 10's laying around, so decided to use four per side as subs, aiming to get me lower and relieve the PHL's as well.

Spent the last few weeks building the buggers and getting them all dialled in ready for the bathurst weekend, and blow me down if I don't bottom them regularly!!!:hot: :hot:

I had them in large boxes (canabilized from another project) and so spent ages bracing them double layers etc. The box size was around 150l, but thought that would be OK as there are two of them.

Spent the last day throwing them in another box, around 70 l to see if that made a difference (I can eq the response in room easily enough)...it does, I can run them about four db higher before they 'clack'.

So maybe I have to go smaller yet again ggrrrhh, but the point of this (besides getting in touch with you ) is to point out the new found respect I have for the PHL's...indestructable!!
When I was running ideas for the system, I wondered about using my LAB drivers in small sealed boxes, PP with a LT to get them to 20Hz or so. I have a couple of Quest 3004 amps to power them. Boxed simmed out quite small for these too, but see comments below.

I've currently got a couple of ideas in mind for how to implement what I want in my current smallish room. Looking forward to hearing yours in Oct to help make some decisions on which path to go. May have to do a bit of a Magnetar and try a few things. Horns are also calling to me again.

When I find somone who can turm up the flares I want for the BMS, I may even try an OB similar to MJK's recent article as it'll only cost a couple of sheets of ply at worst as I have the drivers and amps.

terry j said:
When I saw the project of yours with the IB's you have (hopefully!!) you are a bass guru and so you might be able to help me ha ha.

Anyway, get in touch.
Bass guru. LOL, but thanks. I might get a shirt printed with that on it, to go with my Richard Clapton inspired 'Huge Sex God' one.

The OB's hit a major snag. The drivers I wanted were backordered, and I hadn't heard in a while so I got my mate to call and enquire (I use his trade acct to get discounts), and they're not importing them any more. Bugger. EDIT: how ironic, the word the nanny software edits out is the same one Toyota used on a national TV campaign for their ute's a while back.

I have 4 LABsub drivers and the tapped horns seem to be a geat possibility as they're about 3 orders of magnitudes easier to build than LABhorns. Two will be more than adequate in the current digs, but when I get home eventually, if 4 aren't enough, then a couple more spaced around the room should do it, and I can possibly make them blend in by painting some white, and panelling some to match the woodwork.

Didn't know you had the PHL bass drivers as well Terry. Now I'm even more looking forward to coming down.

Just this morning I thought a great combo would be Jiri's Raal tweeter, a PHL mid and a PHL bass driver. At least I'll be able to check out the PHL's at your place.

Didn't Pat at WAR was the distributer. Thought I'd have to order them from overseas.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.