What Driver Is Best From 800Hz & Lower?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you were going to use the very "BEST" driver you know of to cover the frequency range of 800Hz and lower. What specific driver would you select ---(size, make & model # please)--- and what type enclosure would you use it in? Bass Reflex, Open Baffle, Infinite Baffle, Transmission line or horn?

I'm looking for speed, accuracy, tonal purity and bass extension. I don't care if it's a 15", 12", 10", 8" or 6" woofer!

Thanks, Thetubeguy1954

Hello Tubeguy

How low on the bass extension?? You talking 20Hz or something more reasonable??? I have used a couple or JBL 15's that are capable of very good performance. The best all purpose would be a 2235 which has a good overall balance and can work up to 800Hz. You could also go with a 2234 which is the same driver less the mass ring so it's more efficient but sacrafices some bass response. If clarity,definition and speed is more important to you the E-145 is a very good woofer but is limited in it's range below 80Hz. To get useful output below 40Hz you would need a sub. These are all realtively efficient coming in at 93,96 and 98 db. The 2234/5 would want about 5 cubic ft where the E-145 would be happy in 4 cubic ft. You could drop all three into larger boxes for more low end if desired. These would all be bass reflex enclosures. They are all still suported by JBL so you could just purchase frames as cores and have fresh cone kits installed. That's what I did and it worked out to be cost effective. I had essentially "new" drivers when all was said and done.

Rob :)

Driver

To provide more info... I'll be using 4 large HEIL drivers (per side) stacked in a quasi-source from 800Hz and up! Hence the need for speed, transparency and accuracy!

I'd like as much extension as possible on the low end without sacrificing speed, transparency and accuracy. If I absolutely must I'll use a sub. I believe the Heils are either 96dB or 93dB efficient.

Hope this additional info helps...

Thetubeguy1954

Any subwoofer or large size woofer will suffer to generate clean mids. If I were you, I would give priority to mids rather than to bass. I'd consider this (possibly two):

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=296-618

In a vented box, this will give more than enough bass for music listening. If your goal is to reach THX reference level without additional subwoofer(s), you'll need some compromise.

What overall efficiency are you aiming for? The Heils are more like 102 db from my experience. 4 stacked in what configuration? series, Parallel, or series parallel? The Heils are very fast and you want a woofer that is not slow. My speakers use 10" drivers salvaged from Klipsch RF-7's and are fast, transparent, dynamic. A good match to the Heil's.

You might want to try PHLs - the 3820 or the 4040 might match your top end. As to transparency that would have to be up to you to listen to them and see. But they'll be fast and accurate and about 96-98dB efficient with high power handling.

For the full range of sound, you'll still need a subwoofer, as even these won't be accurate much below 50Hz - I think you'll be pushing to get anything that can keep up with the Heils AND do the full 20-800Hz range.

454Casull said:
For most applications, I'd say pro drivers crossed to a multi-driver sub.
That arrangement gets my vote too. As 'fast' is related to inductance, how about the 18Sound 10NDA610; efficient, excellent motor design and the active impedance control sshould potentially have a benefit on the sonics. Depending on the lateral dispersion of the Heils at the xover would be a guide to what I'd start looking for.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.