I bought bad Mission 753's, T's and x-overs fried, worth fixing?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
does any one know where i can get crossover parst for my mission 753 thay both burned out at the same time had them running for about 4 hours turned up loud but no where near max they suddenly went quiet any how all the power had gone i thought at first i had damaged the amp with them going at the same time i checked the crossovers and both must have over heated. theres a horrid mid to top sound when i play them but no punch or bass....the drivers are ok checked em... how do i fix this where can i buy the whole xover unit can any one advise thanks

Of course you should get a problem (I'm guessing here) with to much power, with that 2,2R resistor in series(?) with the woofers. How much W was that a 5W or 10W, and how much you were using from the amp? Now I'm just giving my hint, and possible you have more failed components.:confused:
You can buy new xovers, or try to repair it if you have some experience.
(If you are going to post a lot then build a new "Mission 753 xover repair" thread)

Last edited:
753 xover

thanks for your reply any idea where i could buy a matching xover the whole thing i did have some watts pumping but not loud enough to damage the drives i had wharfdales for years never had this problem.. i like the missions but blahhhh scare me now. maybe for party i should get diferent speakers hook em up for the party and then put my missions back on after wards :rolleyes:

mission 753 crossover no high freqeuncy

hi thanks for replys so far can any one confirm that i have a crossover problem and its not down to my drivers i bought some crossovers off ebay 753 but i put them in my speakers and the the seem to have the same problem as my previous ones i just get a muffeld bass sound there seems to be hardly any mid and no top sound... when i attach just the high freqeuncy from my amp theres no sound when i attach to the low freqeuncy terminals i get a unresponsive bass ... i did a test i skipped out a section of caps and wires ..i wired direct from the high freq + direct to the red speaker out and i actually got a reasonable sound with top mid and a lively bass however not perfect by any means but acceptible .... so im not good with these xrosovers can any one help is it the crossover damaged or some thing else

hi me again found that my mission 753 tweeters are blown ..... i put some cheap rubbish replacments on just to test.... so now the crossovers are giving me the high frequency and low but the 4 drives all sound the same dull bass the mid sound voice clarity doesnt seem to be there...... does this mean the mid range part of the crossover is damaged ????

hi me again found that my mission 753 tweeters are blown ..... i put some cheap rubbish replacments on just to test.... so now the crossovers are giving me the high frequency and low but the 4 drives all sound the same dull bass the mid sound voice clarity doesnt seem to be there...... does this mean the mid range part of the crossover is damaged ????
Good question... something is wrong.

new crossovers 753

well i have orded some crossovers for my mission 753s a pair £120... and orderd some tweeters DT-284s a pair so this has got to fix em expensive but really too much messing about trying to discover which part of my crossovers are mashed.....i have no heart listning to music on bad speakers......i just hope that all my drives are ok im pretty sure they are :( could a bought a modern set for the amount i paid in total :eek:

crossovers

Good question... something is wrong.

hi yes some thing i ment i have the high freq through the test tweeters and i have bass and low freq through the bottom 4 drives but the mid doesnt seem to be there .... i skipped out a part of the crossover near the bottom coil and the mid comes through so does this mean its the crossover or is there a problem with some of the drivers ? i hope this makes sence

Hi guys,

Why does it state in all the older mission model manuals to not touch the high frequency drive fixings?

I can't see what harm it would do to check they are secure and if you ever had a problem with a tweeter, you'd obviously have to remove and replace it again.

Do they say not touch them incase you over-tighten and risk damaging/cracking the fixture?

Thanks.

"Other things you really must try in these once you get them going is to damp/strengthen the big drivers pressed metal baskets. Lovely improvements can be had there for very little money."

Have you got some details (and photos) of the mod described above please? I'm in the process of replacing four blown 753 base drivers so I'm adverse to sealing up the baskets and restricting cooling to the voice coils, but fast tight bass is what I bought these speakers for so if I've misunderstood what's required for this mod I'd appreciate some advice? Thanks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.