FYI: My new speaker building web pages - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th August 2007, 11:44 PM   #1
Jay_WJ is offline Jay_WJ  United States
diyAudio Member

Default FYI: My new speaker building web pages

I opened my speaker building webpages. Link:

http://www.geocities.com/woove99/Spkrbldg/

Any comments are welcome. Enjoy!
Old 27th August 2007, 11:50 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hahaha... Thats awesome! I love the page called "Designing crossovers without measurements". I laughed out loud.
Old 28th August 2007, 02:32 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

May I ask why LOL?
Old 28th August 2007, 02:52 AM   #4
Akita is offline Akita  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

I sound like a good job to me, If can, pls show step by step how the thing done.
Old 28th August 2007, 02:54 AM   #5
Rounder is offline Rounder  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hey man thats awesome! The crossover tutorial is especially useful for me the amateur with limited equipment. And best part is that i know it works because i know some professional speaker designers who use little or no measurements and make amazing products. I am slowly building a hds two way as well but instead of the usher i am using the peerless hds exclusive with phase plug. I am curious to get more of your thoughts on the sound of the hds tweeter.

Cheers
Old 28th August 2007, 02:55 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Don't take this the wrong way. I wasn't trying to be a jerk. I just read that statement and it seemed so outrageous it made me laugh. It's sort of like the idea of no measurements. No FR, no T/S parameters, no impedance plot, nothing. Then you build the crossover. So, basically the idea I had in my mind was just placing different combinations of L, C, and R with the drivers and just seeing what it sounded like. A completely trial and error crossover. It just made me laugh.
Old 28th August 2007, 02:58 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by m0tion
Don't take this the wrong way. I wasn't trying to be a jerk. I just read that statement and it seemed so outrageous it made me laugh. It's sort of like the idea of no measurements. No FR, no T/S parameters, no impedance plot, nothing. Then you build the crossover. So, basically the idea I had in my mind was just placing different combinations of L, C, and R with the drivers and just seeing what it sounded like. A completely trial and error crossover. It just made me laugh.
I understand. Maybe I need to change the title to "Designing Crossover using Other's Measurements?"
Old 28th August 2007, 03:05 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

You know as much time as you put into this and the money spent on nice drivers and crossovers, why haven't you bought a ECM8000 and a preamp? It would prevent alot of the crap you get.
Old 28th August 2007, 03:33 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by augerpro
You know as much time as you put into this and the money spent on nice drivers and crossovers, why haven't you bought a ECM8000 and a preamp? It would prevent alot of the crap you get.
Hi Brandon!

Have you read my page in detail? As you may have noticed, it's not just about money. As much energy as I put into this, I really do not think that having measurement equipments is a must to build good-sounding speakers. Do you think if I had owned a measurement setup, I would've built my speakers with satisfactory result in as much time as I actually spent? I honestly do not think so. It would've taken more.

However, I agree that measurement is a good thing to have and I would've learned much more about box and baffle effects, and setting up measurement tools, etc. if I had decided to have one. If I had wanted to be a more serious DIYer and considered speaker building to be my lifetime hobby, I would've considered to purchase more tools and been willing to spend more time and energy to set them up and make my room messier. But I just wanted to build good-sounding speakers on my own using the best drivers available to enjoy listening to music. I just thought that things I learned would be useful for people just like me if I rounded them up in a page.

BTW, as I stated in my page, I now strongly believe that using simulations is sufficient for providing a preliminary crossover design that can be fine-tuned by the process of voicing. And voicing speakers turns out much more important than I originally thought.
Old 28th August 2007, 04:32 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Jay,

Should you specify the minimum resolution / quality of the source FR plots - for the end summation to be reliable? For example - if something coarse grained like 1/2 octave smoothing was used, would that matter?

To prove your methods - it may help your credibility of the approach if you can backup your simulations with actual measurements and post those elsewhere on your site. I see the quality of your FR plots (and understanding the measurement environment in which they were taken - resolution etc...) and estimate of acoustic offset (if you don't have the drivers on hand or don't know mic distance from baffle when the FR was taken) will probably have the greatest effect.

I think you should also add a limitations section to your method. It's very easy to the newbies to lead them down the "this is all you need" when every method has a compromise or something missing. The thing you cannot predict or understand from an SPL trace of the FR response is driver harmonic distortion. You may want to add a cavaet that even though you have nice FR overlaps between drivers from FR plots to choose a XO point - one driver or other might be introducing audible 2nd and higher harmonic distortion products.

Other than that - I think your site and instructions are still very useful to the beginning DIYer that wants to at least understand the effort is involved (and I mean really make newbies understand the design issues can be complex and a grasp of many concepts is required), even before expending any money on measuring equipment.

Put it this way - none of the above posters have said you have anything wrong. Therefore any information you provide (even though it may not be complete... after all whose site / book is!) is useful and aids design and understanding.

Cheers,
David.

Hide this!Advertise here!