Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th August 2007, 03:44 PM   #11
Jay_WJ is offline Jay_WJ  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks, Dave, for the suggestions, which I think all good.

I have no intention to "prove" the method. Most information we see on the internet should be taken with care, right?
Old 30th August 2007, 04:25 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Another thought Jay....

Also posting simulated reverse null with polarity reversal of a driver...

I've got a feeling your simulations will look better than reality since the source FR plots are incredibly smooth (and measured ones invariably less so), meaning phase tracking will be much better in the simulation than the typical "jiggy jaggy" of a measured driver.

Cheers,
David.
Old 30th August 2007, 08:23 AM   #13
rabbitz is offline rabbitz  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi Jay

You've done a great job there and it's a great foundation for the DIYers trying to get a handle on doing crossovers. This type of information in one place is lacking on the web and I'm sure there will be a lot who will use and appreciate it.

The tools available at the FRD Consortium are very good and I find Jeff Bagby's spreadsheets exceptional and do align with real world results. It makes crossover designs more predictable and easier to chase any anomalies.

I personally have chosen a path of not to measure although I did it once to prove what I was hearing and also my methodology. All my speakers are voiced by ear after the preliminary software design. I'm comfortable with that and enjoy the tuning process which can continue for months after the speaker is finished. The time it takes is not a problem for me as there is no rush.

I'm not bagging measurements as each designer has their own methods and sets of tools to achieve a sound they are after. The end result is what is important.
Old 31st August 2007, 04:13 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the compliment, rabbitz.

Voicing is really fun. If you look for speakers that sound "right" to your ear, DIYing is your short cut!
Old 15th September 2007, 09:00 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Hi Jay,

Just a question re the voicing process when you disconnect the tweeter from circuit. Do you replace the tweeter itself with a resistor at the nominal (or Re) resistance of the tweeter (leaving the tweeter circuit in place)?

Reason being - to maintain the impedance near the crossover as would be presented to the woofer if the tweeter was in circuit.

The above wouldn't be as important with a woofer circuit that included compensation for an inductive rise (or had a naturally low rise).

Thanks,
David.
Old 15th September 2007, 09:46 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Hi David,

If your amp's damping factor is reasonably high (or its output impedance is reasonably low)---usually the case with a solid state amp---, it won't affect the woofer FR whether you use a resistor of tweeter's Re or not.

-Jay
Old 15th September 2007, 10:26 PM   #17
owdi is offline owdi  United States
diyAudio Member

Nice website. I like the clean layout, but would like to see more details about your entire audio setup and listening environment.

Have you ever measured your designs, to see how close they are to what you modeled? Your crossovers are pretty complex, I bet you'll find a few surprises.

Dan
Old 17th September 2007, 03:22 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Hi Dan,

Good suggestions. I'll later add the information about my setup.

I also consider measuring my designs.

The XO for my Usher 2-way is actually not that complex. It's simply an electrical 3rd order plus a notch filter for the woofer, and electrical 2nd order with a notch filter for the tweeter. No problem placing it in a small .38 cu ft cabinet.

Hide this!Advertise here!