Simple enclosure for Lowther PM2A

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm a bit curious on lowther speakers. I'm in the process of building my first tube-amp and would like a neat speaker to go with it. The problem is I don't think I can build a good horn for it. :cannotbe: (I could kill for a pair of Medalion II) Are there any other designs that work well with lowthers? T-line? Open-baffle? Closed? :confused:

One other thing. (That maybe should be posted in the tube-forum) Right now I'm having some troubles with sub-sonic frequencies. How does tube-amps handle sub-sonics?? How does a lowther react to sub-sonics. I can imagine they don't like it very much.

Great! Thanks... I was under the impression that Lowther's had EXTREMELY flat freq. response. Isn't that why people love them so much? I am very satisfied with my newly built bookshelf-speakers, but I thought that single-driver-speakers were a zillion times better than any 2 or 3-way system on the market. Maybe I should stick with my 2-way speakers for the moment.

Hi:

This will be an interesting project/article to watch as it progresses.

Gives some F resp results for the DX series. Why did you pick the PM2A?

http://www.quarter-wave.com/Project04/Project04.html

I know (just from posts) a guy who dropped DX3's in a Vpipe and is happy as a clam w/ them. I've never heard them. What ye think?

The new ones are supposed to be w/o the famous shout.

Cheers
CRyder

I'm using the DX-2, there's no shout. Subjectively the frequency response is excellent. From a single driver you get a very coherent picture, and the high sensitivity lets you use the best low power triodes. Dynamics are amazing. They don't do everything well, but they do a lot right!

Lowthers need some form of horn to work properly, whether a folded horn, tractrix or simple front horn.

They aren't cheap but it is worth your time to listen to them.

Noam

Mikael Abdellah said:
I was under the impression that Lowther's had EXTREMELY flat freq. response.

Well... that's just... very untrue.

Isn't that why people love them so much?

I think people like them for their high efficiency and for being a very good single driver.

I myself have AER-drivers, which are an improved Lowther-clone. So: better respons, even better a single driver, but even more expensive too.

I thought that single-driver-speakers were a zillion times better than any 2 or 3-way system on the market.

Well, let's not get carried away, but in my opinion the best systems are broadbanded (and high efficient, and with as little crossovering as possible and flat, or digitally equalized).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.