AR.com Speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all. The only DIY speakers I put together were a pair of AR.com speakers from Madisound. I put them together easy enough and even included a connection between the tweeter and crossover to easily switch out different resistors. They sound good but I ended up only using these two for about 6 months. And I have a 3rd one still unassembled in its shipping box from Madisound. I came across these in storage yesterday am trying to decide whether to just throw them out or if it would be worth it to list them on Audiogon or eBay. No sales pitch here, just asking for your advise. Thank you, BR549

Definately don't pitch them. You could try selling the whole units. If that doesn't work, sell the parts, at least the woofers and enclosures. The 850122 woofers are nice sounding and will probably sell quickly if you post a FS on the Madisound board. The tweeters on the other hand are not very good and will be harder to sell.

If you want to complete the project, you could recycle the woofer as suggested and mate with another tweeter. Problem is the older designs (Wayne J and Bob Brines) that use the 850122 may not have the required tweeters available. I think the Wayne J design used a couple of North Creek tweeters.

Another option is I do have some crossover amendments if you want to buy and use 2 Seas 27TBFC/G tweeters. But I have not tried this and on recommendation from another DIYer here.

I also have Danny from GR research revised crossover schematic to sort out the AR.com DIY issues (using your existing drivers). I could post that / email that to you with his permission. Problem here is more crossover components which would up the cost quite a bit.

If you are not concerned about matching with your existing speakers. It might be easier just to sell the kit, recoup the costs and find a new one.

Cheers,
David.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.