Infinity reference 5 mid replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
This inquiry is about the infinity reference five floorstanding speakers

After recently successfully refoaming my woofers, i went on to refoam my mids as well and ended up destroying both in the process...

Now i need to find a sutable mid replacement for my speakers. They dont have to be great, just something decent for school. the original mid was a 5" with an injection molded graphite cone.

Any options anyone? or should i scrap this project all together?

Ill put up pics of the mid soon.

thanks in advance
Hersh

rellik said:
while trying to separate the dust cap, i accidentally cut through the cone on the outside of the dust cap rather than on the inside

Did you cut through the voice coil wires?

If not, I'd try to do the refoam without removing the dust cap, many prefer to do it this way. I do and have never had a problem. Not sure on such a small driver but I expect that it would work.

Then if you finish the refoam with sucess, I suggest that you glue the cut if it is not too large, say less than half way around.
This repaired driver would likely work better than a substitute.
You could then take your time on ebay and look for a correct replacement.

Does Infinity sell these in their automotive line?

Pete B.

one cone suffered far worse and had half of the cone detach as my knife slipped.

Once again i learn not to work when tired...

infinity no longer makes a replacement and old stock ones rarely show up. I saw one from ebay google cache about 6-7 mos back.

I got a pair of these from parts express and will see how they work. Its goofy but they are to make sound till I get time for a nicer project. It should fit the enclosure size wise from the measurements given. Infinity quotes a crossover freq of 300 hz from the woofer to the mid and 4k hz from the mid to the tweeter.

the replacement: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=295-370

If this idea sounds terrible I will send em back when they arrive.

I'd guess that the Infinity 5" does not have a resonant peak at the top of it's pass band similar to the Dayton driver.
Have you traced out the crossover schematic?

You might want to take a look at a Vifa or Peerless 4 ohm here:
http://www.madisound.com/catalog/specials.php

There are also the closeout drivers from NHT here on this site.

The Vifas at Madisound are likely better than the Infinity drivers.
Might give you incentive to learn how to mod the crossover to match them.

Pete B.

I have tried to trace out the crossover schematic but the inductors dont have values with them and I dont have an LCR to measure them.

where did you find the freq response graph for that dayton?

As for the other speakers on madisound i searched before buying those daytons, none in my price range will fit my enclosure without modifications... all the 5" are closer to 5.5" and all the 4-4.5" ones are just too small.

The Daytons have severe breakup modes in the 7-10k region, and need specific notch filters to deal with them. Crossing at 4k, they are going to sound pretty harsh. Look for paper cone drivers of similar size...something like the Vifa M11WH09-08 4.5" Coated paper cone midrange... link

If it's too small, you could make an adaptor ring of some kind out of masonite.

rellik said:
^that one looks like i could make it fit except its an 8ohm, how does this vifa look?

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=45_228_253&products_id=1153

and thanks again everyone for the help

It looks like it is one of the newer Chinese made Vifas. Without knowing the T/S specs of your original drivers, who knows...but you would still be safer with something like that versus the aluminum-coned Dayton. The Dayton just isn't meant to go out to 4k...hence, the designation: "woofer". :)

can you find direct replacements for those ten inch subs? if not any way to mod the x-over to handle a 4 ohm load instead of the factory 6 ohm load? because my tens are destroyed and they need to be replaced only i am having trouble finding 6 ohm tens that fit the bill and match that x-over any ideas?

thank you,
after reading your post i went back and looked at a few websites and come to find that yes the woofer is rated a 4 ohm load. the tweeter and mid range are 8 ohm, which then makes the system a 6ohm load! correct? that helps a great deal! however i am still highly interested in the science behind building hardware crossovers. i have some book knowledge of them however no hands on. any tips tricks or advice that you can give me would be great
thanx ................................

Status
Not open for further replies.