bose acoustimass 10 series II - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th August 2007, 05:24 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default bose acoustimass 10 series II

anyone who can help me out with the schematics of bose acoustimass 10 series II.
thanks.
Old 24th August 2007, 06:37 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I doubt it. Bose is one of the most maligned manufacturers on this site and I don't believe that anyone will have the schematics or the willingness to aid someone in modifying said manufacturers' equipment. And even though this is a DIY site, the general opinion would be that modifing it will not help, but you could sell it and buy twice as much "better" equipment for the money you obtain.

Simply posting the same question in different forums every 20 minutes is not going to gain you any friends either.

That said, why do you want the schematic?
Old 24th August 2007, 04:20 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi Cloth Ears,
Sorry if I posted twice, still a little clumsy on posting, it’s the first time to participate in a forum.
Why I need the schematics?
Well the crossover burnt like fireworks. I try to attach some pictures. I need the specification of the burnt parts. Therefore I would truly appreciate if someone could help me out with the schematics or the details of the burnt parts.
A picture in return might do as well.
Thanks again buddies, hope you can help me.
Old 24th August 2007, 04:20 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 25th August 2007, 12:15 AM   #5
OzMikeH is offline OzMikeH  Australia
diyAudio Member

It might not just be your crossover. check the output of your amplifier with a DC voltmeter.
Resistors can get incredibly hot and still be good. Burning a bit of glue is no big deal. Those ceramic ones are usually good until they crack, they usually melt themselves off the board first. If that happened to the crossover you should measure the voice coils in your speakers. I don't think they would have survived.

Electrolytic capacitors are not the best for crossovers, neither are ferrite cored inductors, then placing all of said inductors in the same orientation causes a lot if interaction between them.

The only thing I see here that doesn't make me cringe is the circuit board appears to be fibreglass. It's cheaper to do all of this filtering before the amplifier then you can use an amp of half the power instead of wasting it all in this heater board.

Sorry mate, I think this crossover is the healthiest part of your system. If you can measure DC on your amplifier output and the voice coils are open circuit I suggest you finish the job in the back yard by lightly washing the whole system down with diesel then lighting it up. Please post it on Youtube.
You could use any surviving speakers on your PC with a little amp.

Are those light bulbs on the right?
Old 25th August 2007, 12:27 AM   #6
MadMutt is offline MadMutt  Australia
diyAudio Member

Ooohh pretty xover (sarcasm)

The 'light bulbs' on the left could be overdrive protection, if they are faulty you could replace them with a wire link (just remember that excess volume will then cause driver damage).
The small orange 'chips' on the right look like ptc's (thermistors) also for driver protection. See above coment for repair if faulty.
Why they have used two types of protection is beyond me.
The wire wound resistors are common and cheap.
Might also pay to replace the electrolytic caps, known to leak in all bose equipment due to them using the cheapest parts available.
Old 25th August 2007, 12:40 AM   #7
Andy G is offline Andy G  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MadMutt

Why they have used two types of protection is beyond me.
I think what happens, is that is when the polyswitches get too hot, they change to nearly infinite resistance. This throws the signal through the bulbs thus allowing the signal to pass, but at a reduced level. (As the bulds filaments get hot, they also increase in resistance)
So the polyswitches and the bulbs act in conjuction, rather than being separate protection devices.

If this is the case, then bypassing the bulbs with wire would negate all the protections, and almost certainly fry the drivers.
Old 25th August 2007, 01:04 AM   #8
MadMutt is offline MadMutt  Australia
diyAudio Member

Ok, but it's not a valve amp so there should be no need for load protection of that degree.
Not like a transistor amp will go unstable with no load connected.
If the system had two way speakers then maybe the bulb would be for the high pass and the polyswitch for the low pass.
But that would be silly.
Even for a marketing company such as bose that would be silly.

That top bulb looks suss by the way.
Old 25th August 2007, 01:06 AM   #9
OzMikeH is offline OzMikeH  Australia
diyAudio Member

It looks like a 5 channel high pass filter to me.
Old 27th August 2007, 04:15 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hi Buddies

Thru all my misery into trying to repair my sound system, I somehow start enjoying this forum, anyway that said.

Indeed your right the crossover is most probably the healthiest part of my system.

The main problem is in the back yard, the amplifier seems to be the main reason which created the fireworks in the crossover of my bose acoustimass 10 series II.

Just fixed my back yard, still I wonder if someone can help me out with the value of the “LAMP FUSE” and were and can I buy them preferably online

Hide this!Advertise here!