TDL RTL2 upgrades - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th December 2011, 12:29 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danq View Post
Hi, this is my first post

My son managed to destroy one of the bass-mid units of my TDL RTL2's. Now I am looking for replacements. I really don't want to throw out the speakers.

Does anybody have a spare driver lying around, which he/she could sell me?

Since members of this forum are into modding their speakers to make them sound better, I guess that, perhaps, there may be a chance. Of course, if somebody can suggest an alternative solution, that would be great also.

Thanks and best wishes

Daniel
If anyone wants to buy the drivers I should have all 4 spare in the next month.
Old 4th January 2013, 07:22 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up TDL RTL2s

Hi everyone,

I have recently acquired a pair of the aforementioned speakers from my local council tip (yes you read that right, a tip) for 4.00 +/- fuel to get them home (and yes you also read that right)

Usually once they go in the designated area that's it, off to be crushed but we took them over to the buying area to "acquire" them

The cabinets are a bit weather damaged but this is repairable. the main cones are faultless but were stiff with cold and standing and it has taken 9 hours of mixed CDs to rescue them, they are now running perfectly. I have since determined that the HF units are also working faultlessly. I plan to upgrade the internal wiring as per an interesting thread on this site as it sounds int-interesting, I plan to modify the Bass's as per the MK2s with a foot skirt as the current arrangement makes them look top heavy and somewhat silly, has anybody out there got access to any data sheets/reviews for this model if so please send to chrisroybater@gmail.com .
Old 5th January 2013, 01:33 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivetide View Post
If anyone wants to buy the drivers I should have all 4 spare in the next month.
Lost the bass in one of mine. Am interested in a replacement.
Old 17th January 2013, 02:57 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

I have a pair of Mk1s and the dust covers on the main drivers are dented (not by me!). Is there a fix for this, or should I bin them and replace? If so, with what? Cheers
Old 4th March 2013, 03:42 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

My understanding is if they have not been pushed hard then probably no real damage - electrical tape is good for pulling them back out.
If i had to replace driver i would look at Monacor SPH-176 or SPH-175HQ.
Old 4th March 2013, 04:23 PM   #36
AuroraB is offline AuroraB  Norway
diyAudio Member

If the voice coils doesn't scratch, they are probably OK. I built my own system years ago, and never made any front grills for them. The dust caps of both the woofers and mids, as well as the tiny soft domes of the Scan Speak tweeters , have acted as virtual magnets for visiting little fingers. I have pulles the dust caps with needle pins, tape and various other ideas literally dozens of times. Doesn't seem to have hurt them, except the woofers dust caps are no longer perfectly spherical..... as long as you don't have scratchy sounds.... :-)

Hide this!Advertise here!