TDL RTL2 upgrades - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th May 2008, 09:44 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Sensible values to try. You might prefer the smaller value cap, and if it's a "better" cap, then it may want to be smaller anyway, as good caps can make the treble seem louder.
I dont have facilitys to mesure but to my ears there seems to be a little too much overlap - between drivers - now the Morels are in. If you were looking at a reading in clio et al, you'd probably see a bump in the 2-3 khz area.

Using a slightly smaller Cap, combined with a tad more resistance should do the trick I think. The smaller Cap will make the Treble roll off a little earlier in the lower range, and the overall output will be a touch lower. Fingers crossed, it seems the right way to go but you can never tell without proper mesurements. Im exited about it though. Should get the caps this week. Ive also got some dimple foam to try out.

If it works out I'll be re-popul;ating the rest of the parts with some nice stuff from Jantzen audio
Old 12th May 2008, 08:24 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Default Upgraded Crossover and new damping material.

Hello!

I completed the first speaker today!

Fitted the 5.6uf Jantzen Cap and the new resistor. Added the Dimple foam. Added bitumin to the frame legs of the midbass.

Initial listening is very promising. On the track 'Take a breath' (from David Gilmours 'On an island' album) the Hi-Hat and Symbols were still clearly audible during the guitar solo, despite Gilmours screaming Stratocaster. During this solo the other instruments are much better defined where before they were drowned out almost completely! The clarity is much better, percussion and vocals sound more natural. Thers less of a 'shhhh' sound to the treble. And the added bonus is, the effect of better treble means the midrange and upper bass are better defined also. Theres a slight problem of the Bass sounding a little loose, probably because I left out some of the stuffing. I'll put more in and try it in different areas. Also I plan to fit some Dowling between the front and rear baffles to give the midbass something solid to screw into. Atogether the sound is warmer and smoother, without sounding wooly, for want of a better word.

Tomorrow after work I'll finnish the other speaker and give them a couple of days on repeat to burn in. Will post results.

Pictures here: click.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg morel mdt30s and upgraded crossover and damping..jpg (37.4 KB, 462 views)
Old 12th May 2008, 11:39 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Nice!

I bought TDL RTL2's at full price (about 300) from the showroom.... After 3 weeks I substituted the tweeters for a titanium/polymer Audax unit that Maplin used to offer (mid 1990's I guess). For an extra 30 at the time, replacements really begun to sort them out. The original fabric domes had a slight colouration that I found annoying.

I upgraded the crossovers with better caps and lined the boxes with carpet. That was as far as I got, but they are still going strong and I love the sound.

Good to see they are still around - have fun,

Ed
Old 13th May 2008, 01:06 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Hi Ed.

I'm glad you like it! Keep an eye on this thread as I plan a few more tweaks later.

The dowling mentioned above is the next step. Should tighten up the bass. Followed by the rest of the crossover upgrade. I decided on components from Jantzen Audio as they are reccommended by the speaker guru Troels Gravesen. I've been reading his site regularly for the last year and I've learnt so much. His site is fantastic, with lots of designs and usefull information and tips.

After doing the crossover I'll be re-covering the cabinets with a nice 1/8" Birch Ply from Riga in Latvia. 1/8" because I want to keep the overall size down, I like the 'dinkyness' of the RTL2. My Girlfreind happens to come from Riga so she loves the idea! Probably going to make up new front baffle from 10mm Mdf - painted black - and glue it on over the existing one. I want to try flush mounting the midbass. Might get a proffessional to do that bit! Then the whole thing will be finnised to a 'piano gloss'.

I was planning a complete new speaker based on the RTL cabinet but decided against it after this latest mod. The speaker is sounding really good - apart from the Bass problem - that it wouold be a shame to change everything. I want to keep it a TDL RTL2 as much as possible, just a better one.

Im going to draw up an image of the finnished article on the computer like I did above. I'll post it here soon.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 13th May 2008, 11:47 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

So the other speaker is done and the results are good.........Blah.blah.......Thanks for the interest.

Feel free to post on this thread assuming im the only one on the planet interested in modding the RTL2.

Thanks to those who have posted.

Cheers, Mike.
Old 14th May 2008, 04:01 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Mike,

That's cool! How do they sound now? I always regarded these speakers as a bit of a sleeper. It was fashionable at the time to go for the latest Mission etc. etc. and TDL were brave to launch into that particular area of the market. Now they are a DIY fiddler's dream if you can get them so inexpensively.

I remember auditioning the RTL1 (bookshelf version), and the floorstanders, 2, and 3. The 1 was nice, but I wanted a floorstander (and the deeper bass...). The 3 I considered a bit loose sounding.

I'd play around more with my set if the time was available...

Ed
Old 14th May 2008, 08:40 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

They sound really good. Im amazed how lucky ive been with my tweaks and the Jantzen caps are great. The sound is much smoother and the brightness is gone. Initally they sounded a little dull but theyve come to life now. Later I'll add Jantzen coils and better resistors.

I finnished modding my CD player today. Thread here The bass problem is not so bad now. I changed the position of the stuffing in the speaker and that improved things too.

I need to let the CD burn in for a couple of days then see how its doing. So far so good!

Thanks, Mike.

PS: which caps did you use?
Old 14th May 2008, 10:41 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Good question.....

Think I ordered from one of the suppliers that used to advertise in "Hi Fi World" It was a polypropylene film type of quite large construction for the tweeter circuit, and I forget what was used for the mid-bass section, though I remember combining parts, so it might have been a better quality bipolar electrolytic and a film capacitor in parallel to make up the same overall value.

Cheers,

Ed
Old 15th May 2008, 08:43 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Got a pic please? Just interested thats all.
Old 15th May 2008, 04:16 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Wish I could oblige, but the speakers is in the UK and I'm working most of the year in California now... Sorry.

To keep me busy here, I found an old pair of Magneplanar SMGa's and fixed them up. Bit of a contrast to the TDL

Cheers,

Ed

Hide this!Advertise here!