Box designs that address baffle step?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK guys, as you will see this could be a very dumb question, but hey I'm here to learn and I've never really cared if people think I'm stupid!

It could also be poorly worded...

The desire to provide BSC, does it kinda fall into the category of 'because we know for a fact it exists we should try to do something about it'??

In other words, unlike say (as a very obvious but probably very poor analogy) driver distortion-which we can obviously hear-, or a poorly braced cabinet that resonates-which we can obviously hear-, can we actually hear the lack of baffle step compensation?? I know the obvious answer is 'of course we can' because we hear the FR we are exposed too, but I guess what I'm getting at is that to our ears the LACK of something is no way as obvious as the PRESENCE of something 'bad' as in the examples above. As I say poorly worded, but I understand what I'm asking, hope others can glean my question too.

It's a bit like time aligning drivers I suppose. I had often read about it from all the experts but I never had a clue what difference if any it would make. Way back when I used the dcx to go active, I electronically time aligned the drivers, and suddenly it all snapped into focus. It's not that anything was wrong previously (analogous to my theoretical question on BSC I suppose), but it was that much better when it suddenly became time aligned.

Is this the sort of thing we are discussing here?? In other words if we could flick a magic switch when doing side by side comparisons with and without BSC would we hear something of that sort? Or what would we hear?

Lastly, I suppose from what I've seen here and what vague understanding of it that I have, the baffle step only really shows up in the FR. As I use a deqx now (rather than the dcx) and can measure and compensate with it, I assume (hope!) that because I have a flat measured response from the lowest reach of the system to 200 hz the the BSC has been accounted for (as well as floor bounce). I hope so, as there is not much else I can do. ;)

So from that viewpoint all these questions have no practical relevance for me, other than to help me understand this area better.

Hope I didn't bore anyone, but I'm sure others would also appreciate some help from you more knowledgable guys!!!

Svante said:

Yes, it is true that room reflections give similar effects, in particular if they are few. Multiple reflections seem to "smear" the effect of the dips, since they are many and occur at different frequencies.

There is however two things that makes this first reflection from a wall or a bipole configuration different from the case with room reflections: This reflection occurs early, and if comes from approximately the same direction as the loudspeaker.

Perceptually there is a difference. Out brains know that any sound from where the loudspeaker stands will have a dip due to the floor reflection. A dip that is caused by a reflection in the direction of the loudspeaker cannot be differentiated from if that dip was in the loudspeaker itself. There are no perceptual cues for that.

That's a strong point Svante, still I think bipoles have
potential...

terry j said:
OK guys, as you will see this could be a very dumb question, but hey I'm here to learn and I've never really cared if people think I'm stupid!

The desire to provide BSC, does it kinda fall into the category of 'because we know for a fact it exists we should try to do something about it'??

No such thing as a dumb question, it's dumb not to ask.

Baffle step is very real and can be huge when speakers are used in free space and not an issue when placed against a wall or in subwoofers.

To get a feel for baffle step losses, put a single 2-way speaker about 1.2m out from the back wall and corners and have a listen. Place the other speaker behind the first speaker but facing the rear wall. Disconnect the crossover and add a 4mH to 6mH inductor (close enough for this exercise) in series to the woofer +ve and have a listen. The extra bottom end, lower mids you will hear is what is lost with baffle step.

Try it.

The trick is to find the right BSC for the final location of the speaker as it can be 0dB up to 6dB.

thanks Rabbitz

have a couple laying around I could try that with, will have to rustle up a suitable inductor though!

In my case with the deqx, if I have a flat response at the LP then is it fair enough to assume that I have in fact compensated for it?? After all, there is no 'missing' frequencies like there was in your example given above.

hows the weather been, getting any rain?

Hi terry j

The example I used was for passives only and I'm not familiar with the use of the deqx but I'd assume if you are getting a flat low end, then all should be cool. You could always try it plugged in and out to hear the difference.

Rain and then some. I think we had 125mm one day last week but just drizzle over the last few days. Prior to that we had few good weeks to dry us out after the storms and floods. Water capacity is near maximum which is good.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.