Decca kelly ribbon horns (mod ideas)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi to all hi fi enthusiasts around the world.I have arrived at what i consider to be a zenith of sound from what are essentially a pair of Decca kelly kardioid speakers which have decca kelly ribbon horns and decca 12"midd and bass units.
Having owned ribbons from Magnepan i desided to go the Decca way to save some space in my listening room.:nod:

The decca speaker enclosures themselves are in need of a thorough make over and this is another forum by itself.:rolleyes:

The main horns have been fitted with the Decca wide dispershion lens and mounted in the enclosures.:cool: My main concern is that the height of the speakers is no way near the required level.

I have since had a few ideas about setting up a pair of Decca horns totaly free of any enclosures:bulb: They could be mounted on tripod stands and angled to the desired height with ease,I have also had some ideas for the structure of the horns:bulb: .
I was wondering if it would be a good idea to have the ribbon elements treated in deep cryogenic suspension(dct uk) which basically dips the items in liquid nitrogen gas at very low tempritures and by doing so bonds the materials together better,Also the Metal enclosures of the horns themselves to be treated.:idea:

I thought that having the Deccas totaly devoid of any cabinet or speaker cloth should make them even more transparent in sound quality,Also inside the horn it is made from metal surfaces and i thought of trying some sort of acoustic material to damp it down slightly:rolleyes:

Any thoughts would be great:devily:
I also have scanned in the instruction booklet for the decca speakers and horns,so if you have a pair and want the original spechs etc please email me at Ianfhaddock@aol.com and i can send them over the internet to you in jpeg form:mafioso:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.