Internal wiring for a bipole surround speaker?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently took it upon myself to try to rewire a pair of dipole surround speakers that I own to convert them into bipole speakers. The reason being is that I have them mounted on the back wall and I want to get rid of the null at the center point of each speaker.

I figured that the project would simply involve reversing polarity of the wiring to the driver terminal connections on one face of each speaker to put the drivers on each opposing face back in electrical phase with one another. However, when I opened them up, I discovered that the drivers in one of the speakers were already wired with positive polarity on both faces. This threw me for a loop because I no longer had a consistent point of reference.

The two speakers were wired from the factory like this:

Surround R .................... Surround L

- + ..... - + .................. + - ..... - +

(For the sake of accuracy, because these are rear mounted speakers, the L /R orientation is reversed.)

To put it simply, which of the illustrations below is the correct wiring for a a pair of bipole speakers? And which if any is the correct wiring for dipole?

Option A

- + ..... - + .................. - + ..... - +

Option B

- + ..... - + .................. + - ..... + -

Option C

- + ..... + - .................. + - ..... - +

Option D

- + ..... + - .................. - + ..... + -

Thanks for the help.

- Tim

I did some more research, and while I couldn't find anything official, I found enough posts on different forums that I believe these are the proper wiring schemes for biople and dipole.

Bipole is:

Option A

- + ..... - + .................. - + ..... - +

(All drivers wired with standard polarity. Red to red, black to black.)

Dipole is:

Option C

- + ..... + - .................. + - ..... - +

(The front facing drivers wired with standard polarity, and the rear facing drivers with reverse polarity.)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.