"Karlsonology" (Karlson enclosures/technique) what's happenin' ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
what's happening on the forefront of Karlson research and application?

18" vented coupler
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

18" sealed klam
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Videos of klam and K8 (with Sammisound 8" fullrange)

http://img531.imageshack.us/my.php?image=08pressurek8lc4.flv

http://img531.imageshack.us/my.php?image=04asymmetricprojector1qu2.flv

John Karlson in 1964 audio clips from Roger Russell's collection
http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.pl?forum=hug&n=123514

hey Magnetar - just about bet Rosie-Klam could bend wings up hear the high pressure zone (?) - - Rosie was the only vented Klam I've seen so far and probably extended 1/3 octave lower than my shabby klam18 - CN's had rear chamber sized about like Karlson and Karlson-Oliver models for elevated PA use.

oh - WN's "Rocket type" of a few years back are probably good players - Polk coax converted into "koax" w. waveguide tube - that would alter the "reverb" mix vs regular operation -- a passive k-tube can be used at dustcap/whizzer to do similar

6.5" klam by WN - I think nose taper angles are 6 & 12 degrees

one 8" k can make a lotta noise - I like K's pretty well.

I need to get the Rosie Klams out of retirement and load them with my Beyma 15 coaxials (four inch 2441 diaphragms) and play a bit with them. Never tried the coax approach in the Klams and always crossed them below 350 due to paranoia with the 'dip' measurements when I went higher.

The wings on rosie required underlayment board to lower audible resonance when driven hard. The rest of the cabinets are 2.25" or more thick (heavy)- The Beyma will really take some power with it's 4.5" coil. I imagine it will be impressive driven with a Crown K2 on the bottom biamped with my PP el84 amp

I'm not sure how Rosie play compared to K15 but should be interesting---my klam probably (?) sat too low for coax

K15 with moderate-good quality coax can be a lotta fun and better imo than reflex when large dynamics and low distortion are needed - U need one K15 out of light birch playwood for reference

starting flare and area of the slot can have a lot of subjective influence - -a little bit of damping inserted in the first inch or two of a coupler will alter its reverb, apparent HF and "speed"

when I had a 21.25"W x 16"D x 32" high K using 23 degree baffle and 10 degree port board, sound was too constricted with 5/8" gap compared to a 1.2" gap - --- this just depends. Acoustic's 27 inch high 15" coupler 115BK (copy of KHYBOE - I think?) worked pretty well with gaps from 1/8" to ~1/2" - maybe those gaps varied mainly due to wings & dado tolerance - 115BK with the vent choked in the middle might make a fun little midbass coupler - kinda like a wider K12

with 21-22.5" width, 23 degrees baffle layback and 10 degree port board doesn't have the "worst" RTA dip - dunno how much this matters

here's a 1/6 octave outdoors graph of a 7.4 cubic foot external bulk coupler stuffed with an 18" woofer. It had an additional stub attached to top of the front pipe something like Ken Lehman's more sophisticated method - (maybe it could be tapered the same rate as the port board)

IIRC there was 80 liters in this coupler's rear chamber after loading the 103g mms 18

http://img67.imageshack.us/img67/8592/32x6inchcapfrcd7.jpg

like most K this could hit pretty hard - I had my panst legs flap with 300W peaks on good drum trax and cone did not move much considering the otuput

there might be sweet spots of baffle angle and coupler depth from wings to panels

freddi said:
one more thing Magnetar - even notice a K-thread can barely hobble to 10 replies while a pipe speaker might do 50,000 + ?

Yup, I had plenty of 'high end' audiophiles listen to the Klams and every one of them pretty much agreed it was the best bass they have ever heard - Me, I feel it 's the best for the bulk, but the best bass in my rectangular concrete bunker 'man cave' so far is twelve high efficiency 10" drivers on open baffles. It has a lot to do with room and how it's driven. Bass horns can be good in the room too (still used for subs!) but have major bulk issues. The horns that sound best don't allow me to take full advantage of my 108" high def CRT---------- just too big

Pipes? well I guess there are good and bad ones, I played with them years ago. not my cup of rum. Too one note resonant and fake sounding

shoudl be nice woofer - - used 1-21" Madison per channel for awhile with Beta 12cx/12LTA and liked it overall - are you still using Foster wideband ?

for 8 cubic foot extenal bulk range K's do well and K12 at 3.3 cubic foot aren't real shabby if theres a sub

somewhere I have a pic of your first kobbled K with 12" and topped with Heil AMT - do you think it'll play about the same on dust-cap-axis if inverted and baffle arranged to get a simple rectangular box?

K's can play good nuff overall to warrent their existance (????) - my limited flirts with 'foolrange' in reflex and pipe aren't getting it - must need "blh" ???? open baffle with Ch250 are pleasant

Fig 1 from 1955 reflective patent

I had four 21's and like it but the twelve tens are more tuneful with better impact and 'snap'

The first Klam with the 12 is still here but liked the 15 a lot more - AFA using the front chamber versus not I remember they measured quite a bit different but the overall effect was gain in the bass and more tuneful and percussive sound.

Foster wideband? Not sure what you mean - I had a Fostex wideband pair here (they are toys, LOL) and have used pairs of the pro Audax 170's for MTM mids - the Audax's are very good

Will the Karlson ever become the fad of the week like 'beyond the Ariel' ? I doubt it, there's not enough there for people to 'simulate' and argue over with their great knowledge and computer software programs. :D

Oh yeah, yep those are good (a pair is a toy )when usin a bunch of them but I found the notch needed for them to be linear in the line array took too much away from the gain in sensitivity and power handling. They took too much power to drive and became compressed relative to the tens. The line source idea probably is best used for PA with DSP

Now the tens are three high two wide with a 10" coaxial on top (bagend 10 with the emilar 175's) for 200 up. It sounds better and is more compact.

I've squandered some dough on FR trying to figure out their "superiority" ---which 10" do you use ? - does Bag End sell their coax separate? ----maybe I can drag CN into the thread but might take 50 years - lol

Martin's c12cx w. APT 50 is a good one for regular 12" K coupler - -Karlson's 1957 K12 had two brace shelves which choked the 12" down to 39 sq.in.

Check these out

Ebay Auction with twin Altec Duplex's - Rock On

8487_12.JPG

Hi Freddi,

This speaker subject is new to me. No, I have not lived my life on a desert island. However, when I went to one of the links you provide:

John Karlson in 1964 audio clips from Roger Russell's collection
http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.pl?forum=hug&n=123514

I could not download any of the historic clips.

Also, do you have any equations that can be used to design an enclosure?

Thanks,

BC

hi BC - -I'm sorry Earthlink whom I pay higher than average $ provides such poor and apparently cheap bandwidth-limiting service - - I could email you those files.

Regarding math - I think one might look at Karlson's originals and Acoustic Transducer patents and try to figure out his intent. Magentar, David A. Young have made couplers with more rear chamber volume than K's originals. Carl Neuser seems to treat K like horn and and I think his view of an optimized coupler might have smaller chamber than K15 (and more height)

Moray James has built couplers like originals and also with t-line or SAFE-("symmectrical air friction enclosure") like rear chamber.

Karlson Ultra-Fidelity couplers had 2:1 airspace ratio of rear chamber over front chamber; baffle angle ranged from 23 degrees in X15 to 30 degrees in K15 and some K12 & K8

theres about 6 cubic foot total airspace for K15's chambers and that might have represented a modest bass reflex cabinet volume in 1951.

Karlson's asymmetric projectors had ~1:1 ratio of rear chamber over front.

Karlson's first 12 enclosure had no front shelf and used ~30 degree baffle, a perpendicular port board and a 45 degree upper reflector - it also had adjustabe damping of its rear lowpass shelf and reversible port panel with a small lip molding on one side to allow some mechanical presence control.

If their vent were severely truncated then I'd expect them to be ~high tuned bandpass

I like lowmass woofers with low inductance and low-moderate Q - K15 was probably built around 604B and a Stephens coax (?)

Freddy

ps a few references

K15 plan 1954
http://home.earthlink.net/~buddhaboy2/K15.PNG

K15 vent and shelf changes 1956
http://img77.imageshack.us/img77/5152/k15updatekz9.jpg

Carls formulae

Rear chamber volume
vbr ~(vas*qts*fs)/fc

Rear chamber lowpass area
vbf ~0.5 vbr; slp ~0.2-0.4 sd

K15 by Carl's estimation

vf = 2.3 cu ft
vb = 4.0 cu ft
sb = 32 su inches
sf = 222 sq inches

The rear shelf creates a port area of 52.5 sq inches with the back of the cabinet.

The front shelf creates an area of 73.5 sq inches with the front panel.

Karlson's originals have frontal aspect of ~1.47 and could use radial arc tapers (~51 inches for K15, 42" for K12)

K15 had a front shelf which:added air mass to the vent, front portion offset one 250Hz dip, rea portion acted as a lowpass filter before the vent.

Smaller Karlson couplers deleted the front shelf and were basically scaled to the driver diameter making K12 tune and cutoff about 1/2 octave higher than K15 and K8 about an octave above K15.

Karlson intended to add a "reverb" to enhance weak transients.

KARLSON AND KARLSON-RELATED SPEAKER PATENTS

RELATED:

W.O Swinyard US 2020166 filed 1935 “Sound Reproduction Apparatus” - a wedge-shaped 20 degree coupler with “V” deflector having non-parallel

N.C. Fulmer US 2787332 filed 1952 “Loud-Speaker System” - a folded 1/4 wave pipe with last section broadbanded with tapered slot - Fulmer’s patent apparently conflicted
with Karlson’s 1st “Acoustic Transducers” and a RCA application delaying grants/

R-J Enclosure:

(1) "The R-J Speaker Enclosure" by William Joseph and Franklin Robbins. Published in Audio Engineering Magazine December 1951.
(2) "Practical Aspects of the R-J Speaker Enclosure" by William Joseph and Franklin Robbins. Published in Audio Engineering Magazine January 1953.

"Acoustic System for Loud-Speaker" US# 2694463; Robbins et al filed April 17, 1952 granted 11/54
(nephew of William) Jeff Joseph's Loudspeakers: http://www.josephaudio.com/

J.J. Baruch US2766839 "Loudspeaker System" Filed March 16th 1953, granted Oct. 16th 1956 - deals with math of distributive resistive vents using round holes
(Marty Poppe built X15 using 42-0.375" holes to damp the system for a particular 15" woofer)

John A. McKenzie US 3590941 filed 1969 “Speaker Enclosure” - a dual mouth K-coupler like stacked “Asymmetric-Projector” having a final deflector at each mouth

Robert W. Reams US 4196790 filed 1978 “Acoustic Transducer having Multiple Frequency Resonance” - novel use of Karlson’s slot to create a broad-banded throat in a
PA-application quasi-scoop horn with sealed back chamber.

Rodden, M. Raymond US 4313521 filed Feb. 2 1982 "Speaker Housing"

Sapkowski September 3, 1996 "Exponential multi-ported acoustic enclosure" United States Patent 5,552,569

Weiss et al US 5943431 August 24, 1999 “Loudspeaker With Tapered Slot Coupler And Sound Reproduction System”

KARLSON PATENTS:

J.E. Karlson US 2586827 “Directive Radiating System” Filed March 31 1945 - a
Parabolic dish microwave antenna with what appeared to be a variable directivity pattern

J.E. Karlson “Acoustic Transducers” US 2816619 filed Dec. 1951, granted 6 years later - deals with broadbanding slot both in loudspeakers and musical instuments.

J.E Karlson “Acoustic System” US 2896736 filed Aug. 1955 - use of a modified Karlson laying on its back using either corner or wall to create a diffused sound image - HiFi
Lit’s website shows a K12 used in this fashion (laid on back) on the 1955 Karlson brochure page

J.E. Karlson “Open End Waveguide Antenna” US 3445852 filed 1968 - essentially analogous with the K-tube waveguide used in Karlson’s X15 2-way speaker ~1966.

J.E. Karlson “Acoustic Transducers” - US 3540544 filed 1968 - concurrent with X15 and described Karlson’s use of ellipse based reflectors to improve the Ultra-Fidlety type via
Fig.6 and Fig 8’s reflctors (Fig6 upper reflector was used in the X15) and introduced the Asymmetric Projector with tapered elipse profile which appeared commercially as the AP-9C ceiling speaker - also- slotted mirocphones were
discussed.

J.E. Karlson “Jet Engine Silencer Nozzle...) US 3543876 filed 1968 - jet engine muffler and rocket nozzles.

LIST OF INVENTIONS 4/24/50

J.E. (Edward) Karlson

1. ELECTRONIC POTENTIOMETER. A variable element which is capable of linear variations of resistances with infinitesimal mechanical motion yet also have capabilities of broad variations in resistance.
2. CAPLESS DISPENSING TUBE. This device permits the use of toothpaste tubes, etc. without the necessity and bother of removing and replacing the cap after each usage.
3. GEOLOGICAL PROSPECTING SYSTEM. A system for use in the prospecting for oil, minerals, etc. This system may also be used for radar applications.
4. RADAR ANTENNA WITH AUTOMATICALLY VARIABLE BEAM PATTERN. This invention provides a simple means of automatically changing the beam pattern of a radar antenna from a pencil beam to a cosecant beam.
5. DIELECTRIC ANTENNA. This invention provides a technique for designing commercial and military antennas which will have overall dimensions than conventional antennae, and yet have equivalent gain and directivity characteristics.
6. BRUSHLESS DC MOTOR
7. ASHTRAY. An extremely simple design for an ash tray which quickly extinguishes cigarettes.
8. PRECISION DELAY CIRCUIT. This circuit provides a delayed pulse at a precise interval following an initial pulse.
9. CHATTERLESS CONTACTS FOR RELAYS
10. TELEVISION ANTENNA. This invention provides a simple, low cost antenna which can be readily hidden or obscured in the average room and is suitable for both F.M. and television.
11. SLOT ANTENNA. This design provides a slot antenna with broad band matching possibilities.
12. HYBRID WAVEGUIDE JUNCTION. This is a wave guide section which has variable propagation characteristics dependant upon the direction of propagation.
13. R.F. TUNER. a simplified tuner for F.M. and television use.
14. ADVERTISING SIGN. Novel electric sigh with quick change possibilities.
15. LIGHT VALVE FOR TELEVISION PROJECTION AND PICKUP TUBE.
16. ACOUSTIC TRANSDUCER. A novel loudspeaker enclosure with improved matching characteristics and controlled reverberation.
17. FISHING DEVICE
18. TELEPHONE AMPLIFIER WITH SPECIAL ACOUSTIC CHARACTERISTICS

i'm not "that enthusiastic" about anything audio but think Karlson are fun

get good coax and build one original Karlson 15 per plans and brace its back - if you like it then good - if not then part of the audio quest - I'm trying the fullrange route and its not great fun yet

theres not that much to digest -- -here's K15 built in France for 4500 euro - - 2.5 sheets of plywood and some P-Audio should do ok for a pair

Karlson can sound very good on solid-state amp

http://www.laboratoire-bassi.fr/txt_604.htm

Best,
Freddy

ps - I don't think things need to be built super heavy to function - K15 has good inherent side-side bracing - dowels from the shelf to wings and back help keep modulation down. mine have hardwood ribs on the backs plus a dowel strut. K15 loaded with neodymium 15" coax and built of crummy but usable birch plywood might weigh only 55-60lb (?)

I've run horn and k-tube waveguide on top of Karlson - horn can be good - - k-tube blend very well and sound better than small horn but are limited to ~1K6 lower xover.

Lapaire built K15 with curved upper reflector - that may have helped with horn integration. (See fig.6 and fig 8. of Karlson's patent 3540544)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.