Please recommend a woofer. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd February 2003, 05:50 AM   #1
1Time is offline 1Time  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Please recommend a woofer.

Hi all, I'm new at DIY speaker building. Please recommend a woofer; I need to buy four 6 1/2" woofers for use in a pair of two-way floor standing speakers, TWW configuration. I'm willing to pay up to about $50 per woofer.

So far I've got two Dayton silk dome tweeters and 2nd order L/R two-way crossovers @ 2,500 Hz from PartsExpress.com. The enclosures are 2.06 cu ft each, 37H x 8W x 12D, ported in the front. I assume 8 ohm woofers would be best (?). And, although I'll be using this pair of speakers for home theater, I'm hoping they'll turn out good enough for listening to music as well.

Thanks for your recommendations.
Old 3rd February 2003, 06:24 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Here's a Dayton woofer I'm considering (Part Number 295-305 Dayton 6 1/2 woofer).

And here's an Audax woofer (Audax HM170G8 6-1/2" paper woofer).

And here's a Vifa woofer that looks pretty good (Vifa P17WJ-00 6-1/2" woofer).

And here's a Peerless woofer (Peerless 832732 CC 6-1/2" woofer).

Does any one of these look better than the others? Or, can you recommend another? Thanks again.
Old 3rd February 2003, 07:38 AM   #3
Taco is offline Taco  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

The audax is a very nice woofer, I think it's more modern than the others. And in my opinion is paper better sounding than polyprop.
Old 3rd February 2003, 09:32 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks to your input, Taco, unless I hear any other opinions to the contrary, I'll be going with the Audax woofers.
Old 3rd February 2003, 10:45 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

you will need 2-4ohm or 2-16 ohm speakers to work with that crossover.
Old 3rd February 2003, 10:52 AM   #6
Banned

Send a message via MSN to SkinnyBoy
I like Peerless, but thats just me.. I suppose it is also a matter of if you want quality, or cheapness... lol
Old 3rd February 2003, 11:10 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

1Time,

Based on my personal experience I would go for the Vifa P17WJ - exceptionally good driver, very smooth, very easy to integrate with a variety of x-overs (I would go for 1st order with it, but that's me, I dislike higher order filters). Just check:
www.sonique.com.au
and some of their floorstanding speakers.
Also the price is about right.

Stan - Vifas don't lie
Old 3rd February 2003, 12:20 PM   #8
Taco is offline Taco  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SkinnyBoy
I like Peerless, but thats just me.. I suppose it is also a matter of if you want quality, or cheapness... lol
Peerless, Vifa and Scan Speak are manufactured by the same company. And Peerless is the budget range, Vifa the midrange and Scan Speak the Top range.

The Vifa and Peerless are both drivers which are a couple of years on the market. The audax is almost brand-new, it has good parameters and the frequencyresponse is very flat up to 5 khz.

I don't say that Vifa & Peerless is bad, but I think in this range the Audax is better.
Old 3rd February 2003, 07:37 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hi,

If you want to go for 6 inch units you need to go for long-throw types for reasonable bass at the low end. The Peerless CSX range is extremely good value for the money.

Also have a look at the Visaton AL130:
http://www.visaton.com/cgi/VisatonFr...prache=english

And the SEAS L18RNX/P (rather expensive):
http://www.seas.no/standard_line%20line%20up.htm

Old 3rd February 2003, 07:58 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Okay, here's what I'm primarily considering now. It's a Peerless 850122 CSX 6 1/2 woofer. It has a wide frequency response and the SPL is only 87db which should work better since I'll have 2 woofers per speaker. Although I think a paper coned driver like the Audax would sound more natural and the Vifa is a great woofer, after doing a bit more research it seems more important to keep the SPL at or below 87db. Nice call Pjotr and thanks to all for the recommendations.

Hide this!Advertise here!