Dayton WT3 Woofer Tester available next month!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I happened to stumble across it on the "New Product Arrivals" page yesterday, and just thought I'd mention it, for any of those who might care. Says it's scheduled to be available on 8/24/2007. Price will be $99.88..

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=390-804

On another topic, I think I first came across this 8 inch "subwoofer" within the last couple of weeks. It does seem very nice, although I wish they'd give some measurements and response graphs. Frequency range is listed to extend to 1 KHz, although I'm well aware of how insignificant that statement can often be. However, I'm guessing it might be a great candidate for a powerful woofer or built-in subwoofer in a simple multi-way tower design. Appearance and features seem to go well with the rest of the Reference Series line of products, although its good looks would certainly blend well with a large number of other drivers. Most importantly, "quiet and uniform excursion" is something I'm always willing to admire..

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=295-456

~ Brandin :spin:

Hmm this seems pretty neato to me. Mostly b/c I'd like to be able to do some measurements, but anticipate learning a free test suite and troubleshooting the inevitable problems between my skill level / the software / my homemade jig to be troublesome relative to the actual amount of benefit available from figuring it out.

Looks like no mic input. How much do you more skillful among us think that cripples this device?

I look forward to more information about this, and the products it competes with.

sdclc126 said:
Is that subwoofer new? I haven't seen it before - kinda cool lookin'.

I'm not sure either, as I just found it recently.
It certainly didn't come out when any of the other RS drivers did, that's for sure.
And I agree, it is pretty cool lookin'.

sdclc126 said:
If it's built the same way as its bigger brothers it should be a decent performer.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.
After putting it in WinISD though, a vented enclosure is definitely required, unless you want an F3 at 50Hz. :yuck:

Just to get an idea... For an anechoically flat response, 1.25 cubic feet (35.4 liters) for an F3 at around 25.5 Hz. I can't simulate power and cone excursion, at least with WinISD, since I'm missing some useful parameters. As previously mentioned, PartsExpress hasn't posted a PDF for this driver.

~ Brandin

The WT3 does look interesting, but I would be more interested in seeing how someone could have purchased it already. It says in the price box it is not available until the 24th..

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=390-804

YET on the bottom of the page it clearly states "customers who bought this also bought...."

Kinda makes you think the bottom portion is a scam to to entice you to "impulse buy" more stuff. Sad part is I fall for it every time.

troystg said:
Kinda makes you think the bottom portion is a scam to to entice you to "impulse buy" more stuff. Sad part is I fall for it every time.

I'm sure you're probably joking somewhat, but you actually got me thinking there for a second, lol. So, I just had to check and make sure...

Well, as expected, I was able to add the WT3 to the cart, although it says it's not in stock. With that said, I've always assumed the bottom portion of these pages use data from the other items in your cart to display these other products. It should grab this information when you checkout. So, all the items in people's carts when they check out is recorded and stored to display at the bottom of all the product pages. Since the WT3, as well as other products, can still be added to the cart before they're in stock, that data can still be collected and used at the bottom of the product pages. Of course, a lot of other online retailers utilize this same strategy. Madisound does it, too. So does Amazon.

EDIT: ..Speaking of which, is it just me, or does the Madisound site SUCK nowadays?? It's completely screwed up lately, although it seems like they've fixed a few issues at least. Before today, I couldn't even click on a product without it wanting me to login a million times. Then once I did, it'd take me back to the main page or something, instead of the product I clicked on. Then when I used the back button to go back where I was to click the product link, it'd take me back to the stupid login page and want me to login again...turning into a never ending circle of ridiculous insanity. So, I'd have to click a product, get taken to the wrong page to login, then login, get taken to the wrong page and proceed to begin where I started in the first place. On top of all that, the links have been rather confusing, some of them taking me to a different place than expected. It's just really screwy IMO. However, it does appear as though they might be SLOWLY working on it. It's just that it's been VERY annoying lately, to say the least. I hope they see this, and I hope it motivates them to get their stuff together, lol. I'm sure that's just wishful thinking tho.

DrWoofer.com said:
Well this program still seems to be out of stock.Was ever in stock?

Yes, it was in stock for a couple of days around September 24 before they completely sold out. Now they are waiting for the next batch.

DrWoofer.com said:
If they haven't sell it yet how some people make reviews???:xeye:

They sent some evaluation units out to a few people. But any reviews after about Sept 24 are those who bought one from the first batch.

I got one last week.
I tested two pairs of drivers with it just to see how accurate it is. 8 inch and tweeters.
I measured the Re’s with fluke 8060A and then ran the tests with WT3. The results are within
1-2%.
The bad news is, today I went to test few more drivers and while I was calibrating the test leads which should read 0.31 ohms I kept getting different reading like 4000,3000 ohms.
all kinds of erratic results. I tried unplugging and re- plugging and
moved the test leads to see if there were any shorts. No problem there.
So after few tries it went back to normal and did few more tests.
So, I must have gotten a bad one or something.
I must say it sure is convenience to load it on a notebook and just do quick tests.

Attachments

• wt3b.jpg
    wt3b.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 305
I already had a full loudspeaker testing suite when Parts Express put the Woofer Tester II on sale about a year back. Even though I didn't need it, I bought it anyways.

Best $100 I've spent.

Measuring drivers with my OLD setup required all kinds of mucking around with alligator clips and a test jig; the WT2 just WORKS. No fussing around required. And it's FAST; you can measure everything but VAS in 5 minutes or so.

If I was a manufacturer it would be tempting to use the WT to pick out the "best" drivers in a batch. I've found that in a case of drivers, there will often be one or two that don't measure as well as the rest. Particularly with inexpensive models.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.