Philips made in Belgium, new production

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just bought this funny fake at the local electronics shop. Philips made in Belgium, 6", coss 15NIS which is about $3.50
Perfect choise for toy guitar amplifiers!

Attachments

• philips_belgium 800.jpg
    philips_belgium 800.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 1,935
philipz

The price is a bit too cheap.... considering shiping from Europe. The sticker looks a bit too cheesy for a company like Philips. The box looks a bit too bold - no numbers, nothing except for the logo and "made in Belgium". Only the impedance seems to be okay (8).

Do you have those speakers for sale where you live?

Probably not a Fake

That Philips speaker looks like many I saw from the end of the 1970s to early 1980s, and its cardboard packing box also.
It is probably an original Philips made in Belgium, and not a fake.

It is only in later years that Philips MAY have stopped manufacturing speaker drivers in Europe, and bought from Asia.

Philips owned manufacturing plants/factories in many counries around the world.

Apparently Philips now do not have their own brand name on drivers, but another brand name is the continuation of Philips last developed drivers.
I have forgotten this name, but will post it here when I find it.

That driver you have was likely made at the end of the 70s or early 80s, and is low price because few people want them, or even know about them.
It is quite a good basic quality driver, and suitable for some purposes.

Is the surround, where the cone joins the outer diameter chassis, made from solid rubber {dark grey or black}, or foam rubber {grey}, or corrugated paper with a lacquer doping coat {probably black}, or a textile/cloth ?

What do you want to use it for ?

pictures

You've made me curious...

It really looks a cheap fake with all sorts of dripping glue spots etc. - and it's definitely a new production. It loks completely fresh, not NOS or whatever.

I think I'm going to put it through some tests... and I'll post the results here.

Attachments

• philips_belgium phace.jpg
    philips_belgium phace.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 1,535
Rolf Zetterberg said:
And the AD70801 can be found in this paper over magnet strength(page 6):
http://www.hitech-projects.com/hera/people/aarts/papers/aar05pu3.pdf

eledora said:
could you give me more info about the speaker?

Information is difficult to find, unless we measure them at home. Phillips never used T/S parameters in their literature of the 70's at least for the general public.

http://www.google.com/search?svnum=10&um=1&hl=en&q=M.D.-Hull+SPEAKER-SYSTEMS&sa=N&tab=iw

Philips AD7060/W

(Hz-SPL)
20-78.5
50-87
100-90.5
200-94
500-96.5(peak)
1k-93.5
2k-97.5
3k-98.5(peak)
5k-92
10k-74

They used it in a 9 litres enclosure (327x239x125mm) and with a xover (8 Ohms) at 3000Hz (L1=0.8mH) or
xover (8 Ohms) at 1500Hz (L1=2.1mH).
This last one having a better Frequency response, baffle step and behaviour, not so nervous.

Praudio said:
why miles

My bad.
I think/work in mills/inches/feet/yards/miles most of the time, and one of my cars has a miles/hr speedometer scale.
Besides the minor details, i totally despise anything Euro.
Lately, i noticed that some of your fellow Canadiennes do not seem to know how much a Euro is, a Kilometer may confuse them even further.
Mes excuses sincère.

The driver looks exactly like the stuff (we) used to homebrew loudspeakers in the 70s.
Both the Audio Division part number and the 2422-257 production number checks out, why would anyone wish to fake such a component ?

Jeu-Salem is pretty funny, btw.

filipz

jacco vermeulen said:
Jeu-Salem is pretty funny, btw.

damn, how come I haven't seen that untill now???

Regarding the speaker: I've plugged it to listen how it sounds and put two different speakers for comparison. No enclosures were used. One was 4" no-name from a 60's patephone (alnico) and one Jensen C10Q (just a reference). Well, the philips sounds like a 1" tweeter - only harsh highs with a little hint of bass. Mids are scooped all the way. It was also the quietest of the three - the 4" beats it. I've thought about torturing it with my AG7 audio generator but I don't think it worth the time.

Still if someone wants a genuie philips for a funny price - welcome to Jerusalem, we have a very nice weather here now.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.