CDs for Loudspeaker Auditioning

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What are good CDs that I can take with me for auditioning loudspeakers ?

I am hoping to get suggestions that have a fairly wide range of music/sound - bass, midrange, vocals, highs etc.. that will also help me determine or point out deficiences of speakers in a certain sub-ranges.

Also it would be nice to know what specifically to "listen for" in a track. For example, in Track#xx for XYZ CD the drum/violin/percussion/piano should sound like ... and NOT like ....

Thanks!

Let me suggest that you make your own CD to audition speakers. That's what I did. Took tracks from 18 different CDs (keeping them in WAV format) and burned them to CD-R. That way I could have a wide variety of music from classical to jazz to blue grass to pop to oldies all on a single disc. I discovered that the places I took it to listen w/ wanted copies of it!

Remember to include tracks that are great performances, but are less than wonderful technically. You need to know what a speaker will do when you don't have technically great CDs. Otherwise, you may get speakers that make lesser recordings unlistenable. Don't want to be limited to just a few good recordings! :whazzat:

Cheers, Jim

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.