EckHorn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Nicola said:
Has anybody read / listen about such system and its component
http://www.pirkensee.de/Downloads/ACR Eckhorn Katalog.pdf ?

Kind regards

you either like it or hate it;

I like it ....not without flaws, but one pretty rewarding spkr .......when you choose right amplification........ and there is not two same sounding amps when you have so efficient spks.......... :clown:

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
sek said:
The term you're probably looking for is corner horn... ;)

Cheers.

Thanks. I'm new to this horn thing.

I have one more off topic question (I would make a thread, though I fear the onsluaght of ppl telling me to use the search function).

I notice that in horn speakers, they tend to use what looks to me like PA drivers. Accordian woofers I guess. I do have some PA speakers that I occasionally use for parties, but they sound like junk at low volume levels, and in my small room.

Is there a reason they use what looks to be PA drivers? Compared to my DIY Dayton RS bookshelfs, the my PA's sound like junk.

Just wondering.

Zen Mod said:
you either like it or hate it;

I like it ....not without flaws, but one pretty rewarding spkr .......when you choose right amplification........ and there is not two same sounding amps when you have so efficient spks.......... :clown:

Tks, could you be more specific ?
- what are the flaws
- do you use it on mono / bi / multi amps =
- best what type of amps (tubes, class A, ??)
- what do you mean with "not two same sounding amps when you have so efficient spks"

I'd appreciate your comments

Found this (german)
http://www.pirkensee.de/9989/index.html
http://www.pirkensee.de/Downloads/ACR Eckhorn Katalog.pdf

Kind regards

re eckhorn

Dear All,

I have a pair of these ACR Eckhorn kits.

I have upgraded the x over with sexy inductors and caps and wire. I have also added a Pioneer TAD PTR 7 ribbon super tweeter.

These sound absolutely fantastic and one of the best speakers that i have ever heard.

I have used them with EAR 500w valve amps and with Sonic Impact class d 5 amps.

Glorious.

A company in Germany called ,i believe, art of sound or arts of sound still sell the kit but using different drive units not Fostex.

Also Lautsprechershoppe have plans to build the cabinets but no longer do the kits.

There is also a Kit to build larger cabinet using an 18" bass driver not a 15" drive unit . This is described as a subwoofer.

A fantastic kit and loudspeaker.

regards David

wafflesomd said:

I notice that in horn speakers, they tend to use what looks to me like PA drivers. Accordian woofers I guess. I do have some PA speakers that I occasionally use for parties, but they sound like junk at low volume levels, and in my small room.

Is there a reason they use what looks to be PA drivers?

Yes wafflesomd, in fact in the old times they use to have 50W tube amps and they needed very powerful (read sensitive) speakers. Nowadays is the same thing with 3W tube amps and very good Hi-Fi set-ups. Everybody likes very good sensitivity loudspeakers so they can have lower wattage for the same output.

Guitar speakers as you call it "PA drivers" are not good for subs because they have very high Fs like between 50 and 70 Hz. They are good for some kind of bass loaded horns though. But the lower Fs speakers type are very similar in sound quality and construction. And dificult to find a frontier between Hi-Fi and PA also when they use the same components.

'Accordion'-paper, treated cloth or rubber surronds are just a matter of some different technologies.

Inductor said:

Yes wafflesomd, in fact in the old times they use to have 50W tube amps and they needed very powerful (read sensitive) speakers. Nowadays is the same thing with 3W tube amps and very good Hi-Fi set-ups. Everybody likes very good sensitivity loudspeakers so they can have lower wattage for the same output.

Guitar speakers as you call it "PA drivers" are not good for subs because they have very high Fs like between 50 and 70 Hz. They are good for some kind of bass loaded horns though. But the lower Fs speakers type are very similar in sound quality and construction. And dificult to find a frontier between Hi-Fi and PA also when they use the same components.

'Accordion'-paper, treated cloth or rubber surronds are just a matter of some different technologies.

Thank you so much for explaining it to me :)

Hi,

wafflesomd said:

As Inductor pointed out, the sensitivity of the speakers is a prerequisite for high sound pressure with lowish amplifier power.

But there is another reason: durability. PA drivers usually are designed to withstand a lot more abuse (in the everyday sound reinforcement business) than domestic speakers.

In a horn, too much drive at too low a frequency can play havoc with the cone excursion, damaging a cone that is suspended only by a weak spider and a soft foam or rubber surround.

Is there a reason they use what looks to be PA drivers? Compared to my DIY Dayton RS bookshelfs, the my PA's sound like junk.

This is a frequent perception by many, but not a neccessity! There is a lot of cr*p around in the "party sound" business, but the sound reinforcement market also offers components sporting high build quality, high durability and a very good sound for their application.

You don't see such speakers too often, of course, as they are usually way more expensive than the widespread stuff that simply shall be loud...

Renowned companies include ElectroVoice, JBL, Selenium, PHL, Precision Devices, RCF, B&C, Beyma, 18Sound, Ciare, BMS, and many more. But as with all things in life, not all from them is good. ;)

Your speakers just don't seem to be designed as "monitoring" devices... :whazzat:

Cheers,
Sebastian.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.