Piano in listening room?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
We are considering where to set up our listening room. The room we would like to use has a 7' grand piano in it. Does anyone have any experience with a piano in their listening room? I am mainly concerned with (1) vibration of the undamped high treble strings of the piano and (2) effects of the piano soundboard (maybe this could be a positive if it is controlled by placement?).

The piano would be located behind the speakers (i.e., the back of the speakers would face the piano). Would this influence the type of speakers I would use (no rear-firing drivers)?

A piano, eh!

Haven't you played the piano? When you release the keys, they are effectively dampened. It would take some righteous sound pressure levels to wreak havoc.

Think of the grand piano positioned appropriately over the orchestra. Then think of the sound pressure levels achieved during a performance. "Singing pianos" just aren't a big problem.

Now, if I brain fart and leave a toe on the pedal, the strings might resonate a bit...

Enjoy the piano. It will live in harmony with your speakers!

In fact, there's a fantastic article in February 2003's Electronic Musician on just this thing! Not all the strings are physically dampened, and even the ones that are dampened are not completely void of resonances.

My guess is that your listening room is going to have a very unique feel to it, and I would try to take advantage of it.

Dave

The safest shot would be to use dipoles and angle them so the null is directed at the piano This way at least no direct sound is aimed towars the piano.

Play some music with lots of information, like a "busy" classic piece or a pop-track with wideband instruments, press pause an listen to the piano if it sings or if it´s silent. If it sings even when used speakers are dipoles, put some pillows in there when it´s one of those critical listening nights :)

/Peter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.