Constrained layer damping / thin metal / fibreglass layer - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th August 2007, 09:34 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Constrained layer damping / thin metal / fibreglass layer

Hi All,

I posted this in the loudspeaker section as this seems more about construction technique than specific car audio issues.

I'm in the process of doing a car audio installation, and the 'usual' solution to panel flex in the doors is to add a layer or two of dynamat (or equivalent) on the outer door skin, with another layer on the inner door skin between the door and the door trim panel.

What I'm asking is whether you guys think a couple of layers of fibreglass added to the outer door skin, then covered with deadening sheets will give a significant improvement ?. I have the fibreglass sheet / resin lying around so it won't cost me anything but time.

I'm thinking that the fibreglass will have a different resonant frequency to the door skin so they should damp each others resonances and give a decent improvement, but I don't think I've ever read of anybody doing this.

What d'ya think ?

Rob.
Old 5th August 2007, 11:04 PM   #2
GM is online now GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Greets!

I think that a max impedance mis-match is desirable, so adding the FG 'fill' should reduce the Dynamat's effectiveness since it will be mass loading the door skin.

GM
Old 6th August 2007, 05:46 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

So that would explain why people don't do this then.!

Thanks GM.

Rob.
Old 6th August 2007, 05:50 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

It might be beneficial if you had the Dynamat in between the door and the fiberglass.

Hide this!Advertise here!