Mounting speakers side by side

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In the full range threads, Peak ( Coral ) 8CX 50, I mentioned some backed loaded horns I had many years ago with two of these 8" units mounted side by side. I miss them. My current idea is to get two 8" units locally, at not very high cost, and build similar horns which will only handle frequencies up to about 250 HZ, I would use horns above this frequency also. Perhaps one of the small fostex or other small full range mounted on something similar to an Oris horn. Hopefully this would go up high enough for my now limited hearing.

Would mounting the eight inch units side by side cause any problems in this kind of setup. I loved the shaking bass and speed of the old setup.

I would use the old amp to drive the bass and perhaps build the new Silicon Chip class A to drive the upper horns.
jamikl

Thanks for the reply
tade. That's the way I saw it but I needed confirmation that it could be done way.

Another interesting thing I found last night was that modeling two silver flute *" speakers, 4 ohms each in series, was that quite a
small rear chamber was need even when using a bass reflex type horn ( as scottmoose is doing ) and the group delay was better than the usual truncated horn that is used in most BLH designs. Efficiency was down a bit from the horn but still quite high anyway.
I think I will continue to work this out as it should be reasonably inexpensive to build. There may be a possiblity of using 4 8" in each enclosure.

Are then any small 4 - 5 inch speakers to cover the mid and highs that might work better in a horn than the small fostex drivers?

At this stage I think I have more chance of a moderately large enclosure which can be used closer to the wall than open baffles which have to be pulled out 4 feet into the room!

jamikl
jamikl

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.