rotel rb980bx amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hello there from scotland new guy
hope this question is in the right place ,and any suggestions would be appreciated .
I have a marantz cd-52 mark 2 special edition feeding into a RotelRC-980BX pre amp and two RB980bx amps in stereo driving a pair of BOSE 305 speakers and apair of pioneer 3 wayS-Z360s
.all 8 ohm 120w ..
The problem is if I follow recomended practis and move these speakers of the carpet (concrete) floor i lose all of the bass and the system sound tinny and very bright .put the boxes on the floor and sound is a lot better. And could any one tell me why there seams to be a very wide variation in quality between one cd and an other ,for example eminen curtain call can really sound good in mid and bass ,and abba number ones cd sounds flat (all bought cds) now i know the rotel has no tone adjustments i.e bass and treble ,but this is getting me down now and i do not want to spend any more money on this set up if i am not going to get beautifull music out of it ........
I do realise these bits are a bit old but the rotel certainly has some grunt ,

hello there
yes i supose i do need to up grade the speakers .What exactly am i looking for is it highest sensitivity i.e 90 plus Db ,4 ohm ,8 ohm , 8 inch or 10 inch drivers .Would it be best to buy say 2 pairs of KEF iq5s or Monitor Audio br5s and still run as two seperate amps ,or will bridging the amps and running 2 channels only be better , this would require speakers beyond my budget though ,or discipline i.e just dont turn it up too loud..
cheers

Hello,

How far are they away from the wall. Smaller speakers need to be close to the wall or floor and sometimes both. Bass seems to travel around the perimeters of the room and when you take speakers away from the perimeter, the bass isn't connected to the room anymore, it seems like there is no bass.

Maybe you are already doing that but that is something that came to mind.

sreten had the best suggestion with new speakers. With your setup (able to sound pretty good), you could easily bi amp a nice pair of speakers and get great results. Then do the fine mods and details to bring out the rest of the potential!

Regards//Keith

hi guys thanx
for all the feed back ,tryed the amps bridged with just the bose 305 speakers attached wow just kept getting louder .Wife said the neighbours will come a-kocking if i dont behave ,unfortunatly the laws of audio won first and the bose voiced there opinion and promply through in the towel ,made quite a loud bang oh dear? sounds like the voice coils have parted company from their mounting. wife muttered something about boys not growing up i think, any way as a quick get me going fix i have order 2 celestial 8 inch 0818 professional drivers to replace the bose ones . will tell you how these go ,am saying up for something decent. and have been dropping santa sorry wife more than a few hints ...
cheers .

Hi,
well, I'm glad the Bose have gone to heaven (or the other place). ;)
Don't bridge your amps.
They think you have connected speaker of half impedance when set that way and this will reduce their performance. It may make them overheat and they may become unreliable.

Any chance you could also blow up that Pioneer pair?
Then you can start with a clean sheet.

Spike the speaker stands through the carpet to stop them wobbling about. That will tighten up the bass. If they don't have spike tappings then buy tower speakers that are spikeable.

Alternatively, buy some concrete slabs and support them on cones or some such that locate on the floor below the carpet. Then tripod mount the speaker stands on the concrete slabs, use three 1p coins if you have to. If this is a success go and buy some attractive alternative to the slabs. Marble, stone, reconstituted stone (fancy name for concrete), steel, aluminium, kitchen work top (40mm laminated beech might look nice) etc.

Don't get worried about the lack of tone controls. I got rid, back in the 80s (or was it the 70s?) and never regretted it. Listen to the recording as the record producer and artist intended it to be heard. Spend time adjusting the speakers and if necessary the ancilliaries until the majority of progamme sounds the way you like it. Don't spend big money on cabling. Keep them short and adequate, the shorter the better.

hello andrew
Yes did consider punishing the other pair but to be fair to them they dont sound half bad for a mass produced speaker .fitted the new celestials and they sounded terrible ,head ache injucing noise but they are inproving with time and they are not far off being okay for now , never seen such a tight cones before .when i get a chance i give them a good hounding ,and like i said they do seem to be inproving .Have got some paving stones covered and mounted the speakers on top of these ,definitly made a diference.put a bag of sand in the pioneers to add a bit of weight to the very light boxes and this also seems to have helped ,(yes i am enjoying my self ). like you say when you stop worrying about the lack of tone controls and start listening to music as is, you do warm to it ,not spending minuets tweaking bass and trebel just sitting back and listening ........
cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.