Speakers constructed using unusual items

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was at Ikea the other day and I saw a "SEKIN" flat-bottom wooden bowl.

www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/categories/rooms/dining/10584/

I had a thought that if I cut a hole in its base, I could mount a small FR driver, using the bowl as a sort of basic horn. Add to that a small cabinet of appropriate volume behind to support it.

Now I know that the taper is unlikely to be anything acoustically correct, but I still think it could be the basis for a fun project. Perhaps use the small, circular-frame HiVi FR driver. Paint the unit a wild colour. Enjoy.

Has anyone made speakers from such found objects?

Pictures anyone?

cheers

Doug

What I would do is coat the inside of the Blanda Blank with a tar-like damping layer up to maybe 1" from the rim, then weld two of them together to form a spherical enclosure.

Heck, if you didn't mind the aesthetics of it, you could weld two bare bowls together, slap on a damping layer, and then fit another two bowls on top for your own constrained layer damping.

I had in mind using the bowl I originally suggested because it had a flat bottom that would (a) be easy to cut out (come from the back with a hole saw); and (b) be easier in which to mount a driver.

... but hey, whatever!

Keep the original ideas coming.

Further: you could* mount a very small super-tweeter coaxially (on a strut), along the lines of the Hammer Dynamics idea. How about the Dayton ND20FB-4?

* This could be over-egging the pudding! :)

Doug

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.