Absolute beginner vs Andromeda speakers..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everybody,
I'm Marco from Italy.
Sorry if i bother you with this, but - even though I'm an absolute beginner at DIY - I would like to try, step by step, to build my own pair of Andromeda speakers from a project of Tony Gee.
If I look at his site or even another site with DIY speaker projects, I cannot find any detailed instructions and specifications about the cabinets measurements.
Would you be so kind to give me advice on how to find these info?
Thank you in advance for your kind help.

Cheers,
Marco

In the meantime I received feedback from Tony with hi-res pic of what I was looking for.
As for the drivers, yes I did a quick search and found out that it's almost impossible to find the very same Focal drivers, therefore here are my options:
A. To replace them with other Focal current production drivers. Even if measurements are the same, I suspect the values will affect in some ways the crossover, therefore I will need some advice on that.
B. To replace them with other brands drivers (e.g. Scan Speak Revelator, others) but this will affect either crossover values and cabinets construction. Insights will absolutely needed in this case as well.
C. To change speaker project. In this case you have to consider:
1. I'm an absolute beginner (as the topic subject mentions..) but 2. I would like to build my statement speakers with no money for Wilson Watt Puppy, therefore DIY.
Would you be so kind to help me in suggesting a very good statement speaker project, whose drivers and parts are still available?
Please don't get bored by my post, even if I'm new, I'm really intrigued by building my own speakers. I would really like to do that.
Thank you.
Cheers,
Marco

Marcopacio said:

A. To replace them with other Focal current production drivers. Even if measurements are the same, I suspect the values will affect in some ways the crossover, therefore I will need some advice on that.
B. To replace them with other brands drivers (e.g. Scan Speak Revelator, others) but this will affect either crossover values and cabinets construction. Insights will absolutely needed in this case as well.
C. To change speaker project. In this case you have to consider:
1. I'm an absolute beginner (as the topic subject mentions..) but 2. I would like to build my statement speakers with no money for Wilson Watt Puppy, therefore DIY.
A. I'd say if you can't get the exact same drivers, forget it. Too risky to start an expensive project with unsure results.

B. Yes. That is possible, but definitely not a beginner project. You need experience, measuring equipement and modelling skills to do that.

C. 1. Beginners can build high-end kits if they follow the plans. Usually deviations from the original need a lot of work, but the basic build cabinets, solder the crossover and put it together with the drivers is in the end quite easy (but time consuming of course).

C. 2. Depending on your budget, there are plenty of really good projects available. Tony Gee's coming Project-X should be cool for example.

Marcopacio said:
Is there anything available about the Tony Gee's Project-X already?/B]

There's photo on his news site. Basically it looks like the Mårten Design Coltrane ($50 000/pair), but Tony seems to be using the bigger/better T&P C90-T6 midrange instead of the C79-6 (?) in the original Coltrane. Also I believe he's using a ceramic tweeter (C13-6 or C24-6 probably) instead of the ridiculously priced D20-6.

Landroval said:

There's photo on his news site. Basically it looks like the Mårten Design Coltrane ($50 000/pair), but Tony seems to be using the bigger/better T&P C90-T6 midrange instead of the C79-6 (?) in the original Coltrane. Also I believe he's using a ceramic tweeter (C13-6 or C24-6 probably) instead of the ridiculously priced D20-6.

Gosh! Indeed, I saw them, but I thought they actually were Mårten design..impressive..as the sub pair is!

Thank you,
Marco

ermes said:
marcopacio,
before you follow the way of diy,you must know your musical taste to choice the sound you prefer.

b.r.

ermes,
well, I took the chance of listening to Mårten Design and Wilson speakers a couple of times during my "audio" life and I actually think it is worth all of the efforts it takes trying to build a pair of speakers alike.
I really enjoyed their sound.
Cheers,
Marco

Marcopacio said:

Yes, indeed.
Thank you Duck-Twacy!

Marco

The units used belong indeed to the top in there kind. However from the introduction you can learn that that doesn't give any garantuee that the combination will sound good. The units also have to match with each other and the filter is very critical. I have some doubts with the Accuton - Seas combination. And Accutons in itself are not easy to filter.

Maybe you should build something easier first and do a lot of reading.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.