Help IDing Silvertone speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have 2 12" woolfers and 2 horn tweeters from a 1967 Sears Silvertone stero cabinet console.They are like virgins and have 33-654-4,then 270720 on the back of magnet body,the cone of the speaker has 12W7 printed on it.The magnet bodies are 1" high X 3.5" in dia. the magnets are held together with 2 flang mounted slot head screws,I get a 4.5 ohm reading.The horn tweeters have the following on the cast horn body 33-653-4 and under that 5757F12.I was looking to find out who made these drivers for Silvertone?And I was looking to maybe swap for 2-12" 60-75 watt guitar amp drivers.I really don't want to drop these really nice vintage speakers into a guitar amp and fry them?

They sound like Quams to me, EIA code 270.

If you know the wattage of the console ( or power consumption) you can figure it out. I would guess however that these speakers wouldnt be able to do over 20 watts safely. I parted out an old Silvertone one time that had horrid woofers in it. They were not good for more than 5 watts each, but they were still 12" woofers! They had TINY 1/2" voice coils, and dinky little button size AlNiCo magnets on the back. They would have been good for a small 5 watt combo if it werent for the fact that they had very little xmax and were not very efficient.
A picture would help if possible. My experience with console speakers for guitar is hit or miss. Unless you happen across a Jensen Special Design that is really used in guitar amps, my experience has been that they arent quite as efficient, and since they are mostly designed for two way or three way cabs they lack high end sparkle. That being said it is all up to your own tastes, and that is just my luck, you may have better luck finding good sounding speakers.

I recently got some Cletrons out of an old Conn organ , made by cleveland speaker company- a devision of CTS! They sound GREAT and are the warmest brightest speakers I have heard to date. Also got a C8R out of that deal
:devilr:

some pics of 1967 silvertone

I am going to upload some pics of the 1967 silvertone,maybe.I'll help ID it?

Attachments

• picture 016.jpg
    picture 016.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 107
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.