speaker towers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
this my first post but i've been comming hear for awhile.
i know very little about home audio so i neen all the help i can get.
i build sum towers for a freind but he does'nt wont them anymore. i was going to sale them or trash them, but i'm going to keep them. the towers are 43.5" x 9.5" x 8" for two speakers one 6.5 and a tweeter. it has a port at the bottom of the front. there is a baffle in the box above the port going up to the back of the speakers.
the question is what speakers to use, i like peerless and vifa but any cheap/good spk would work for me. they have to be 8ohms and handle around 100w each.

please help me

....jamie....

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
If you used 3/4" MDF, (frequently called particle board), your internal dimensions are 42" X 8" X 6.5" for a total of 2184 cubic inches. This equals 1.26 cu ft, or 35.6 liters for any Metric types who want to contribute to this thread.

XTRMEASURES said:
it has a port at the bottom of the front. there is a baffle in the box above the port going up to the back of the speakers.

I am not sure what you mean by the above. Do you mean that there is a board glued on the inside of the front board that makes it thicker, or what? Does this board somehow cut the tower into 2 interior sections? Please describe further.

PS: You mentioned that the holes are cut for a 6.5" woofer and tweeter. How big is the tweeter cutout, and how far is the center of the tweeter cutout from the center of the woofer cutout?

the port is a sloted port on the front bottom of the box, the baffel that is inside is like a port. it starts on top of the port and goes up twards the back of the box, but not all the way up just past the speaker.
the hole for the tweet are not cut yet. waiting to see what spk i get.
i pland on getting them and the x-over at madisound.

Joined 2001
Hmmm, are you talking about something that looks like this? Is the interior board slanted or straight vertical?

I know you don't have the woofer yet, I just put it in there to show where I think the hole might be.

Attachments

• tower speaker mystery2.gif
    tower speaker mystery2.gif
    2.3 KB · Views: 573
Joined 2001
You have a Transmission Line Enclosure.

You won't find many Transmission Line Enclosures commercially. that is because they are complex to build, and tuning them right takes some doing. However, the Transmission Line enclosure, when done correctly, gives a sound that many people consider far superior to the other types in use. So Transmission Line Enclosures might be rare, but are considered super hi fi.

I have some bad news and some good news.

First, the bad news. I never built a Transmission Line Enclosure, so I cannot really help you with this.

Now the good news. This board is fortunate to have two people who are not only members here, but also have their own websites devoted to the Transmission Line enclosure.

One is a moderator on this forum, Planet 10. Here is his Profile Page. You can Email him or go to his website from this page.http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=436

The other is Martin J. King. His nickname on this board is MJK. Here is his Profile Page. You can also Email him or go to his website from here. http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1494

These are definitely the guys you want to talk to.

There are also other people on this board who have successfully built Transmission Lines, and they might also drop in to give you some good advice.

Good Luck! :)

he's working out of state' but i think he was going to get vifa spk.
the woofer was the p17wj-00-04 and the tweet was d27tg-05-06. the spk don't have the same ohm loud. i'm looking for a 8ohm because the receiver has 100w @8ohm.
i was thinking maybe the peerless spk, woofer 850439 or 850467 and the tweet 810665 they both have a 8ohm load.

Joined 2001
Just saw Ilianh's post. We are referring to the same two guys.

Since you built the boxes, you should know the dimensions at various points, what the dimensions are at the speaker cutout point, etc.

If the math gives you any trouble-such things as taper, etc., just post the box dimensions in this thread and I can tell what taper you have, what volume, etc. I won't be able to tell you if it is good or bad, just will do the math for you if that turns out to be an issue.

If your friend returned them because he couldn't make them work, or if the boxes become unworkable for some reason, you can always knock out that divider and make a ported box. I can help you with that.

But that shuld be strictly a last resort. I would try to make a Transmission Line Enclosure first. They really are supposed to be something special.

i think i'll just get the peerless spk and see who they sound. if i don't like it i'll build a new tower.
thankz guyz for the help.
i did'nt know the type of box was so hard to get spk for. i guess thats why my freind did'nt wont it anymore.
if i need any help i know were to look. thankz again.

Joined 2001
It might not be hard to buy a speaker for. There very possibly is a speaker or several that fits this box beautifully.

Before I abandoned a perfectly good box, I would give the forum's Transmission Line people a chance to help you select a woofer. I guess the major thing they would want to know is what the taper is. Give me the internal measurements of the box, including where the dividing board is located, and I can do that for you.

Or, if you don't want to do that, I can give a recommendation for a 6.5" driver that would fit into a ported box. You would have to knock down that dividing board, or cut a couple of big holes in it with a handheld saber saw first, though. Which might not be that big of a job-you should be able to reach your hand in thru the woofer hole. Once you do that, then this speaker becomes a ported box-different from a Transmission Line.

It's up to you. We didn't mean to give the impression that this is that big of a thing. Personally, I think this box is perfectly usable.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
The best measurements to give an idea of how the line will behave in simulation are the area of the top of the line, area at the bottom, the length of the line, and position of the speaker in the front baffle.

Once I get Virtual PC up and running this week, I will be able to use Martin's simulations to help out if need be.

Don't give up yet!;)

hey guyz thankz for the post and help you were giveing me.
but i sold the towers for $200.00, not bad the thing cost my about $50.00 to build.

now i'm thinking about building sum floorstanding speakers. like a 3-way were i'll have one tweeter and two 6.5 but the lower 6.5 will have a divider between it and the rest of the speakers. so if you know any sites were they have step by step and pics, that would be awesome guyz.

....THANKZ GUYZ....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.