Does anybody know this kind of damping layer? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st July 2007, 09:24 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Post Does anybody know this kind of damping layer?

Hi, I've got a speaker (donno which brand, if anybody knows please tell me) , paper cone, with special damping layer. below is the picture, it's a little bit sticky when I touch it . it looks like the ATC's CLD layer? just want to know is there are any other manufacture has this kind of sticky layer except ATC?
is it possible to make similar layer by ourself? I have some old paper cone woofer, and I want to make such layer to enhance its performance.
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 31st July 2007, 10:02 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Just a guess.... non-vulcanised latex perhaps? Or tar / some variety of heavy oil?
Old 31st July 2007, 10:25 AM   #3
diyAudio Moderator

Whatever the internet tells you, there is no generic application that will make all drivers sound good. There are lots of doping formulations out there, and to get the right one takes lots of experimentation, both for composition and amount applied. By all means experiment if your drivers are cheap enough, but don't expect that just because a high end manufacturer uses one particular formula, it will magically transform all speakers into world beating transducers.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 31st July 2007, 10:35 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

hi, thank you for your reply, could you give me some of the doping formulations? so that I can do some experiments.
I have a old Audax paper cone woofer, and because of the aging process. the cone became weak, I've tried with some wood paintings, but It seems it's too hard.
Old 31st July 2007, 10:55 AM   #5
diyAudio Moderator

Two easy one come to mind, PVA wood glue diluted with water, or shellac varnish. Whatever you use, don't put too much on at once, use small amounts and listen/test inbetween coats.

However, if the cone itself is failing, doping may not do much good without applying so much treatment that the response is totally changed.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 1st August 2007, 12:48 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

PVA wood glue or shellac varnish, are they still feel sticky after it dry?
maybe non-vulcanised latex would be a good idea.

Hide this!Advertise here!