Does anybody know this kind of damping layer?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I've got a speaker (donno which brand, if anybody knows please tell me) , paper cone, with special damping layer. below is the picture, it's a little bit sticky when I touch it . it looks like the ATC's CLD layer? just want to know is there are any other manufacture has this kind of sticky layer except ATC?
is it possible to make similar layer by ourself? I have some old paper cone woofer, and I want to make such layer to enhance its performance.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Whatever the internet tells you, there is no generic application that will make all drivers sound good. There are lots of doping formulations out there, and to get the right one takes lots of experimentation, both for composition and amount applied. By all means experiment if your drivers are cheap enough, but don't expect that just because a high end manufacturer uses one particular formula, it will magically transform all speakers into world beating transducers.

hi, thank you for your reply, could you give me some of the doping formulations? so that I can do some experiments.
I have a old Audax paper cone woofer, and because of the aging process. the cone became weak, I've tried with some wood paintings, but It seems it's too hard.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Two easy one come to mind, PVA wood glue diluted with water, or shellac varnish. Whatever you use, don't put too much on at once, use small amounts and listen/test inbetween coats.

However, if the cone itself is failing, doping may not do much good without applying so much treatment that the response is totally changed.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.