I need a center channel to match with my Elsinore Speakers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th July 2007, 04:46 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default I need a center channel to match with my Elsinore Speakers

Can anyone give me some suggestions? I don't know anything about crossovers so i don't know where to begin. I deal with Solen and they are great with helping me decide what I need but I wanted to get a few opinions. For those of you unfamiliar with the Elsinore project you can see them here:

http://www.customanalogue.com/elsino...nore_index.htm

Anyone with any insight, i very much appreciate it.

thanks!
Old 30th July 2007, 07:47 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Mark 1 or 2? If it's 2 I'm making a little bookshelf speaker using the 832873 and 810921 that I suppose you could try if you can't find anything else better.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 30th July 2007, 04:13 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Mk2! those speakers look great.
but i'm using the original midwoofers from MK1. I built these speakers in the middle of the transition from mk1 to mk2.

i was kinda hoping to get a horizontal design. Do you think its as easy as phoning solen and asking them to design the crossover for me? If i tell them i would like a Mid-woofer/tweeter/mid-woofer design, would they be able to do the rest? or is that a huge pain in the *** to ask...
Old 30th July 2007, 08:41 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Personally I would pick either an MT or WMTW layout for the center, not MTM ever.
Old 30th July 2007, 08:46 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Do you mind if i ask why?

right now i'm running a JBL EC35. It has two 5.25woofers, a 2" mid i believe and a small tweeter (smaller than 1") it does the job, but i'd rather have the front speakers all matching.

So, you figure a 6.5" midwoofer (same as elsinores) and the 1" peerless tweeter will be enough? Would if have to be designed to sit vertical like a bookshelf speaker?
Old 30th July 2007, 11:36 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Well MTMs comb badly in the vertical plane. *Most* people don't notice this with the L&R speakers because our heads don't move much vertically. But lay it on its sides and it's combing horizontally. Typically people are at different angles to the tv when watching a movie so this can cause everyone a problem except the one person sitting right in front of the center channel. Music isn't bad, but speech in movies suffers.

A small MT bookshelf would work well here. And yes it would sit vertically. I would prefer a smaller woofer for better dispersion, 5.25" at the largest. Pending the outcome of what I think of those two speakers I posted I may use the little 4" HDS Nomex in a WMTW layout, which would be optimum for a center channel I think.
Old 30th July 2007, 11:56 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Right on thanks alot for the knowledge. I think i'd probably rather do the MT. I'm not sure i can swing the WMTW at this point...I would just like it to be simple and easy to set ontop of my TV. How would a 5.25" Peerless HDS PPB (which i can have in elsinores) and Peerless HDS tweeter work in this application...can i just phone solen, show them the crossover for the elsinores, and ask them to design me a crossover or is that too much to ask?
Old 31st July 2007, 01:05 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I have no experience with Solen. I believe Madisound will design an XO for you. Give them a call. Maybe Solen has the same service?
Old 31st July 2007, 07:51 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

yeah they do! i was just hoping that it wouldn't be too much trouble to ask them to look at the elsinores crossover, design my new crossover, and give me the size of box they would need. Is there anything else i should know before i go upon this? does a center speaker need anything different than any other kind of speaker?

also...am i going to lose some volume coming from a speaker with no 5.25s, a mid, and a tweeter to a speaker with just a 5.25 woofer and tweeter?
Old 31st July 2007, 10:05 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I doubt Solen will want to look at the Elsinore XO.

I don't know the sensitivity of the JBL cc but these may very well be less sensitive. You'll have to level match to the mains anyway with a dB meter, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Hide this!Advertise here!