ZD5 damping and transmission line questions. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th July 2007, 06:46 PM   #1
gl is offline gl  United States
diyAudio Member

Default ZD5 damping and transmission line questions.

I have two questions for anyone out there who has experience with the Zaphaudio ZD5 project:

1) Johns site is a bit light on information about internal damping - material type, location and quantity. Does anyone have any further info and experience to share on this?

2) John has written that he intends to publish a transmission line version of this project, but so far he hasn't. I'm sure he'll get to it someday. In the meantime is there someone who has tried rolling their own transmission line version of the ZD5? I recall that someone else did some good work on this and that the results were published on Johns blog or somewhere here. But I can't locate this anymore. Does anyone have any info on this existing transmission line project or a link to it.

Thanks in advance!

Graeme
Old 26th July 2007, 09:22 PM   #2
Zaph is offline Zaph  United States
diyAudio Member

Hello,

The ZD5 web page is light on the information about damping because it is considered to be a project for experienced builders. As such I spend more time on describing other design elements rather than common damping info. However, a quick glance at some of my other projects would give you some damping ideas that would be applicable to the vented or sealed versions. Nothing really unique is required.

The TL version will likely never be published. Dave Littel was going to publish his design but I believe he has moved on from the project and no longer has any interest in it. I suspect this is because he does TL's a little differently and doesn't feel like defending his design from the people considered to be TL experts. It's the same reason I'm unlikely to ever publish a TL design myself. I don't use Martin King's work and I probably never will.

So, you're on your own with a TL design. Just be sure to make the sides detachable until you've tweaked things to your liking.

Regards,
John
Old 26th July 2007, 10:50 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi John,

Thank you for the reply.

1) Yes, I did realize that your other projects provide a great deal of info on the subject of damping. However, my experience as a builder has taught me that information is gold and that it never hurts to ask. I figured you or someone else had already done it so why not start from a known place other than zero.

2) I am disappointed to hear that you and Dave are of this opinion but I completely understand. It just seemed that this particular project had a larger than usual (if I can use that expression here) amount of promise as a TL. And to heck with what anybody else says to you guys.

Again, I appreciate your response. Your site is one of the best. Non rectum descendus carborundum.

Graeme
Old 27th July 2007, 01:10 AM   #4
Zaph is offline Zaph  United States
diyAudio Member

Well, PE's sonic barrier would be the best bet for vented. I'd use the 1-1/4" stuff on the back, top and bottom. the 3/4" stuff would be fine for the sides.

The TL design was a single tube exiting right at the floor with some spikes for spacers. Much shorter, fatter and higher tuned than traditional design. I think I can dig up some pictures and more info if you need it. There is a lot of TL info out there though. I think making sure you have the ability to tweak the stuffing is as important as the design you choose.

Regards,
John
Old 27th July 2007, 03:26 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thank you John.

Graeme

Hide this!Advertise here!