where should I put the tweeters?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
(Be nice :)
Pic below shows current project with tweeters on top while tweeking; this allows me to angle them at the listening position. Should I keep them there (on a better looking tweeter baffle), or mount them somewhere on the baffle of the large cabinets? Xover point is around 1200 Hz.

Why didn't I think about this before I built the boxes? - they are old chipboard boxes which I've used for several projects, the front baffle overlays two previous ones, I've used up all my odd chipboard & MDF pieces to extend the bottom of the box (ported part). Changing the location of the woofer wasn't an option. I MAY get round to building new boxes one day, but right now I'd rather spend time listening to music...

I'm very happy with the sound from these, not as efficient or forward in the mids as my 2.5 way system, but has a nice even response all the way down, they seem to be further away from the listening postion than they are (approx 2 M), which gives a nice analytic feel to them.

Drivers, Peerless 850146 & Seas 27TBFC/G
Xover 2nd order series

Pete McK

Attachments

• psbox2.jpg
    psbox2.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 294
You can mount the tweeters on the top so that the voice coils of the woofer and tweeter are aligned. This would give you proper phase matching.

I doubt that your speakers sound that good. 2nd order at 1200Hz is way too low for that Seas tweeter (it will distort above a watt or two!), and IIRC the Peerless driver has a sharp dropoff above 1200Hz in the response. It seems that you desperately need a midrange.

Svante,
I've tried 'the Edge' (great piece of software), but the best position for the tweeter is already occupied by the woofer :-(

dimitry - '(it will distort above a watt or two!)' it doesn't, although I don't play at excessive volume (unless my neighbour starts playing Slim Dusty again). The Peerless woofer rolls off smoothly a bit higher ~1600. Perhaps I've got the zeta of the xover such that the slope is a bit steeper - C for tweeter is 22u, theoretical value 31u, & I've made the L for the Woofer larger for BSC, ~ 3mH instead of 1.5mH.

And they do sound good, I prefer them to my speakers that use Peerless 850488 mids

Grant - the more the merrier...:)

thanks for the responses guys
Pete McK

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.