Studio Monitor - Audiophile Style...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey everyone, I'm a long-time reader, first-time poster.

Firstly, you all should feel proud of this forum. I have yet to find a place that has the level of knowledge that this forum has, and it feels pretty friendly too.

I'm a music lover, and a music maker. I have a home-based recording business: it's not based at home because I'm not good at what I do, it's based at home so I can work on the music I love instead of turning it into some "job" I'll eventually resent. Anyway, I have recently bought a house, and my new studio space is pretty big. 7metres by 6metres with 2.4metre ceilings. Cavity-brick walls, concrete floor, already well isolated from the neighbours - I'm in heaven! Now that I have the room for a little bit of "sonic boogie", I want to build a big-ish set of speakers that I can mix/master projects on, and do a little bit of general listening on too.

I'm looking for a system for nearfield listening (further than 1metre away, closer than 4metres) at sane listening levels (under 105db). Transparency is pretty paramount, I'm looking for a system that won't colour the sound, and present tonality and transients as naturally as reasonable possible (say less than US$1500 for speakers). Transients being or particular importance, actually.

I have been very interested in the re-designed Thors (Greenie512's Small Thors look great), as I have heard some excellent TLs from monitor maker PMC. I also like the possibility of not requiring a separate sub. However I am not too fussy as to how the design plays out, but for some (probably unfounded) reason I have a soft spot for sealed designs.

If anyone knows of a good Chip Amp (less than US$1000) kit to partner with the above speakers, please pass on your recommendations.

Thanking y'all in advance!

Heath.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.