OT - Computer Guru's Help Requested

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am running Windows XP Media 2005. I am also running SBCYahoo software for the internet. I had surfed a little bit and then downloaded the up to date protection software. Upon restarting, the computer goes to the sign in page with a default name of HP_Administrator (It is an HP computer). I don't recall ever signing in with a password. If I click on the icon, it starts to load my settings and then closes my settings going back to that page. If I control-alt-delete, it gives me a sign in option with HP_Administrator as a default.

I feel that if I could get past this point and back into windows, I could run some type of diagnostic software or virus software. Stupid me, I do not have a boot disc.

There is one option that allows for the use of the back up drive but I am concerned as I am not certain that freeware programs and other programs that I have on the computer will remain on the computer along with their associated files.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Jay

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.