Glass speakers....Perfect 8

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sure why not? :D

p_cube1.jpg

p_cube2.jpg

p_point.jpg

http://www.perfect8.com/index1.htm

"One key technology used in the PERFECT8 product line is the proprietary Super Silent Glass (SSG). SSG is a proprietary special glass type which virtually eliminates all vibrations – there is no ringing whatsoever associated with SSG"

"The vibrations on our baffles and enclosures were actually so slight that it required the development of new super sensitive acceleration measurement devices to detect them. The result is of course a very pure sound, totally uncolored by baffle or enclosure induced sounds.

All energy sent to the drivers are converted to sonic energy instead of being compressed through absorption of the cabinet, followed by re-emission which destroys the sound twofold"

"The vibrations on our baffles and enclosures were actually so slight that it required the development of new super sensitive acceleration measurement devices to detect them.... All energy sent to the drivers are converted to sonic energy instead of being compressed through absorption of the cabinet, followed by re-emission which destroys the sound twofold".

This is a claim overstepping the bounds of physics.

The glass will obey Newton's law of action/reaction accordong to its mass relative to the drivers', same as any cabinet material.

I'm certain any standard accelerometer would have no trouble measuring the vibrations.

And glass doesn't have particularly high internal damping, either.

Well, they HAVE mounted the LF drivers so that the mechanical rection forces to the cabinet is minimised, for sure. From a pure vibration point of view, that is good. And further, we cannot say anything about the damping of the glass from the images alone, I mean they COULD have a laminated structure that particularly well attenuates any vibration transfered to the box.

But one thing that is certain is that the acoustical resonances inside the box are severe. And even if nothing of these resonances leak out through the walls, they will leak out through the drivers, and the drivers will sense a funny acoustic impedance at the resonance frequencies.

And actually, I do too doubt the statement that special vibration measurement techniques had to be developed. Accelerometers are darn sensitive.

Well the satellites do appear to be very small - the internal width appears to be around 10cm (judging by the tweeter face plate), so by my guesstimate they'll be pressure loaded with no box resonances up to around 1.5kHz.

Above that it's likely that there'll be notches in the frequency response and diffraction ripples, perhaps giving the upper midrange a "whiny" quality.

Engineering constraints aside, they look pretty cool to me :cool:

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
sq225917 said:
"The vibrations on our baffles and enclosures were actually so slight that it required the development of new super sensitive acceleration measurement devices to detect them."

so nothing to do with laser interfereometry not working too well on transparent surfaces then.

Accelerometers are usually devices that fix on to a surface and measure movement in a not dissimilar way to how a seismograph does.

From reading the Perfect 8 website they're claiming to have created a glass like material which is targetted at loudspeaker enclosure use. I don't know if this is BS or not since they have little in the way of measured data and there's no 3rd party data to confirm either.

They are ridiculously expensive though. It looks to me like most models use tarted up Seas Excel drivers yet they're asking over £100k for the top of the range 'The Force'. Shameless.

Browsing through those pages I saw that the ribbon that they use has an excellent square-wave response. Unfortunately it is too good ! I.e. it doesn't match with the frequency response shown !!!!!! ;)

They don't seem to be bad speakers but there is a lot of sales hype on these pages.

Regards

Charles

Edit: Veeeeeeery cheap looking furniture casters underneth their "luxury flagship model" ! :whazzat:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.