12" inch woofer suggestions?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
12" inch woofer suggestions?

OK, I want BIG rockin' speakers that sound great too. I posted on the other forums looking for ideas. I hope it is OK to post my question here too.

I am leaning towards dual 12 inch woofers per sealed cabinet. I like the sound of a good sealed system.

What I want is the ability to produce low freq down to the hearing threshold. But I also want the sharp clean sound of tight bass, not muddy.

I am looking for the right drivers, with good response down low.

Thanks

Chris

P.S. I am OK with dual 10's but would prefer bigger.

Please provide more details about your overall goals and needs. What is your budget for the entire project? What IS the project? Are you building 3-ways? Music/home theater? What is your room size? etc. etc.

The more information you can provide the more help you will get!

also depends on what type of amp you are using, how much power ouput capabilities you have. IE do you have 20 wpch that requiers 98db speakers or 100wpch that requiers 90db speakers?

The wattage you have and how loud your speakers will go depends on efficiency, which sealed cabinets tend to lack. You do increase it by using two woofers instead of one, however.

Re: 12" inch woofer suggestions?

cujet said:
What I want is the ability to produce low freq down to the hearing threshold. But I also want the sharp clean sound of tight bass, not muddy.

Open baffle + open baffle augmentation + several massive sealed 15"+ subwoofers with EQ under 35-40Hz. ;)

..This is what I'm currently planning to do anyway.

12 inch diy (project 110db)

200WPC into 8ohm Adcom amp (325 into 4, which I prefer), or 4ohm capable Yam 125wpc reciever (250 into 4).

Budget (drivers/crossover) is "within reason" I do not mind spending money to get what I want. 2000 dollars is out of the question.

BTW, I have a home machine shop and the wood.

The project: Fluid at this point. Options OK. I will consider anything that makes sense, (such as TL, ported or line array). I do prefer the sound of sealed.

Likely to be 3 ways designed to perform on music. HT is will be the most common use, but I want the performance for music.

Clean "Hi Fi" sound is a must, even at low levels.

The room is about 15 x 20 with 11 foot ceilings, open on one end into the kitchen/breakfast nook.

Thanks,

Chris

Project 110db

Oops, I forgot to mention that I do not want to bi-amp right now. I would be happy to set it up to be capable of active crossovers, but I want to be able to use a standard amp/passive crossover right now. That way it is easy to move the speakers to another location for temporary use.

Currently, I have a 6.5" with silk dome MMT setup on top of powered 10 inch subs. I was hoping to avoid the use of subs for music. I just don't like the ones I have heard.

On the other forums, most everyone is suggesting an (all Dayton RS) 10 inch woofers with 7 inch mids and a dome tweeter. I was hoping for more punch, but maybe I won't be able to achieve what I want with the larger drivers.

I had been considering the Dayton series II 12inch woofer.

Chris

Re: Project 110db

cujet said:
Oops, I forgot to mention that I do not want to bi-amp right now. I would be happy to set it up to be capable of active crossovers, but I want to be able to use a standard amp/passive crossover right now. That way it is easy to move the speakers to another location for temporary use.

Well, that just eliminated your best options. :(

cujet said:
Currently, I have a 6.5" with silk dome MMT setup on top of powered 10 inch subs.

..You already have this? What are they??

cujet said:
I was hoping to avoid the use of subs for music. I just don't like the ones I have heard.

Just goes to show that the ones you've heard were probably poorly designed, or poorly integrated with the rest of the system they were used in, poorly integrated in a room with possibly poor acoustics for sub bass frequencies, etc etc. Any possibility that you could name specific models that you didn't like? And remember, this is DIY, and you can do whatever you want. Disregard most experiences with consumer junk you've heard. Audio doesn't have to be that way. You make it perform and sound the way you want it to sound, for less money!

cujet said:
I was hoping for more punch, but maybe I won't be able to achieve what I want with the larger drivers. I had been considering the Dayton series II 12inch woofer.

You say you want 'punch', eh? Yet you're demanding a sealed enclosure? I understand though, somewhat, as I've enjoyed many hi-end custom sealed subwoofers over the last several years.

On the other hand, if you're absolutely stuck on going with a sealed enclosure (which isn't necessarily a bad thing), that 12" Dayton series II is definitely out of the question. For a .71 Qtc, you're looking at 1.7 ft^3 for -3dB @ over 56Hz. If you want some fake 'punch' to add to that with a bit higher Qtc, you're looking at a much higher roll off than that. The 12" Series II has an EBP of 77.1 anyway. Massive 12" 4-way towers that roll off at 60Hz?? Not an option, if you ask me.

I highly suggest you consider the CSS SD12 that planet10 recommended, or at least something very similar. I've had experience with the CSS Subduction series SDX15 (very different subwoofer driver than the SD12 tho), and I was very impressed. I've also modeled the SDX15 for several different applications, and it's currently my favorite subwoofer driver. If I didn't own my 4 Ascendant Avalanche 15's, I'd own the SDX15's no doubt. CSS is good stuff. You can get the SD12 for $155 + $28 shipping from Kyle at Acoustic-Visions.

edit: Oh and... your Adcom amp, GFA-555, right? I have a 555 mkII sitting around that I haven't put to use. Very solid amp, but it's a bit too grainy and forward for me in the highs. HOWEVER, it'd be an awesome amplifier for lower freq requirements, as long as you're not needing 1000w. Damping factor >600 if I remember correctly? Yeah, I'd use it. Could easily be put to use with what you're wanting to build here.

Thanks for all the responses!

BHTX said "Massive 12" 4-way towers that roll off at 60Hz?? Not an option, if you ask me." That is what I thought, and the reason for this thread. I cannot find 12 inch drivers that will work in my plan.

I saw the CSS SD12 for something like 400 bucks onlne and got scared off. My bad. I will consider it! I would also like to consider dual 10's.

I would also consider other options, such as 4ea 8 inch drivers in a tower. That should be able to provide punch too!

The midrange and tweeter are undetermined at this time. I am open for suggestions. Remember this is project 110db. A single dome might be pushing it.

Chris

BTW, my current setup uses 2 Dayton 6.5 woofers and one audax soft dome. It is not able to handle the volume. Even crossed over quite high. The tweeter starts distorting badly.

"Punch" is something I call good integration of the bass with the upper bass. Without this bass can sound soft or out of time. This can be achieved with any good design but one way to help can be to use your 12s as woofers not subs. Putting them with the mids allows you to use whatever crossover point they are capable of. As a bonus a passive crossover may be a little less expensive.

Re: 12" inch woofer suggestions?

How large of a box can you tolerate for the woofers?

For the rest, I'd use:
Tweeter: SEAS T25CF001
Mid: VIFA XG18

Woofers Depend on the allowable box size, go 4 ohms total,
or even 2 if you're willing to get an amp that can handle it.

There are many more 4 ohm woofers due to the auto market, and obviously in parallel you end up with 2 ohms.

I run two NHT1259s in parallel on each side with passive crossovers, yeah, they're 2 ohms. I run them modified vented for the best performance. The dynamics and punch are hard to believe.

Since you offer a dB requirement, I suggest you take a look at the PSB Stratus Gold design:
http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/704/

It was tested by Don Keele in Audio and found to handle short bursts of 10,000 Watts before seeing serious distortion (well OK 10% I think he uses which is not so bad as far as speakers go) over much of the audio band. It uses all air core inductors, and drivers very close to off the shelf Vifa units for the mid and tweeter.

Pete B.

cujet said:
OK, I want BIG rockin' speakers that sound great too. I posted on the other forums looking for ideas. I hope it is OK to post my question here too.

I am leaning towards dual 12 inch woofers per sealed cabinet. I like the sound of a good sealed system.

I am looking for the right drivers, with good response down low.

Thanks

Chris

P.S. I am OK with dual 10's but would prefer bigger.

An ideal looking size for my room is around 5cf. But larger is not a problem at all.

Dual 8ohm woofers in parallel would be better than dual 4's wired any way possible, as far as my amps go.

jnb said: "Punch" is something I call good integration of the bass with the upper bass. Without this bass can sound soft or out of time. This can be achieved with any good design but one way to help can be to use your 12s as woofers not subs. Putting them with the mids allows you to use whatever crossover point they are capable of. As a bonus a passive crossover may be a little less expensive.

I think I agree! What do you think of 4ea 8 inch woofers crossed over at 400HZ? Would this help achieve my goal?

Chris

Good grief. :rolleyes:

I think you're going about this all the wrong way, but that's just my opinion.

As previously mentioned, we have yet to really discuss anything regarding a mid driver, etc.

We could sit here and yell out "4 10's!"..."4 12's!!"..."16 8's!!!"..."ZOMG!!!!" forever, and never get anywhere with this. And once you finally did, it'd probably turn out sounding like junk.

Going by your statements...if a massive large sound, superior low frequency performance, high SPL capability, high power handling, and decent quality sound reproduction are your main priorities...I'd probably scratch everything that's been previously mentioned (which isn't much), and suggest a pair of Radian dual concentric drivers with their matching available xovers, directly from Radian... along with a pair of Beyma 21L50's in separate bass horns, like the Fitzmaurice Tuba HT (i think that was just recently mentioned again on this forum, but i can't find it now). All powerd with QSC RMX series amps (or their clones, especially the Mackie FR's).

..Something along those lines, anyway. :D
I think you'd be completely blown away, to say the least...definitely satisfied, no doubt. :nod:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.