What 104mm flange tweeters do I NEED to hear?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm going to try something new. I have a nice pair of cabs built, currently housing a GR A/V3 MTM in the top section, and a pair of M-165x's in the bottom. I've been very impressed with these speakers, but of course anything can be improved. So here's my plan ...

I got some of the new XBL motor GR 5.25" drivers to go in the same cabinet, and want to pair them with the best sounding tweeters available that'll fit the 104.5mm cutout. I currently have some Scan 6600 AirCirc's, Visaton KE25SC, Peerless HDS 810921, and Usher 9950's. I also have some Dayton RS28a I could put into the design. I won't be crossing super low, potentially it could be anywhere from 2000hz to 3500hz. Knowing that, and that it has to fit a 104.5mm cutout, what other tweeters would you think I should hear? The obvious exemption is the Seas Millenium, I've honestly never heard one and would like to, but am wondering if it'll do anything better than the AirCirc? The new Seas Mag Excel tweeter looks interesting too, but I'm not a fan of the drooping top octaves ... still, if somebody says it's a must hear I'd give it a shot.

The purpose of this is simply to learn - compare differences between the tweeters and find out what sound I like best. I'm open to trying anything.

Have you seen Zaph's site? His comments are objective not subjective but he does rate tweeters and has quite a few:

http://www.zaphaudio.com/tweetermishmash

You've already got some great tweeters. You probably don't need to listen anymore, but the Seas 27TDFC and 27TBFC/G are rated well and are cheap.

Another site to check is Mark K's (can't post link - seems to be down at the moment?)

dave.

Sure I've seen both their sites, I'm really looking more for opinions based on what you've actually heard. Most tweeters on the market today can handle the crossover points I have in mind, and I have all the measurement gear/experience I need to make them work in a final design. How they actually sound is all I'm concerned with in this case.

I'm not a fan of the TBFC/G btw, it's a bit strident to my ears. I do have a couple TDFC's though that I could try, but had planned on using them in a system I'm building for my Uncle.

Have you heard the SEAS T25CF001?
Note that F3,F4,and F5 are below 70 dB from 1.8 kHz up,
F4 and F5 are far below this figure often -90dB.
F2 does not increase with decreasing frequency indicating good
symmetry in the motor.
F2 does increase with increasing freq, however I notice that none of Zaph's measurements show low F2 above about 3 kHz.

Oh, sorry, just remembered this tweeter is not 104 mm. Curious to hear your impressions if you've heard it.

I offered a few comments here also:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1007633#post1007633

Pete B.

PB2 said:
Have you heard the SEAS T25CF001?
Note that F3,F4,and F5 are below 70 dB from 1.8 kHz up,
F4 and F5 are far below this figure often -90dB.
F2 does not increase with decreasing frequency indicating good
symmetry in the motor.
F2 does increase with increasing freq, however I notice that none of Zaph's measurements show low F2 above about 3 kHz.

Oh, sorry, just remembered this tweeter is not 104 mm. Curious to hear your impressions if you've heard it.

I offered a few comments here also:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1007633#post1007633

Pete B.

Oh wow, I just assumed the Millenium and all the other Seas Excel domes were 104mm ... but just checked and they're all 110, bummer. I was thinking about the T25CF-003, the one without ferrofluid, but guess that's out because of the 110mm flange.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.