reverse engineering a box

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a pair of subwoofers that i need to reverse engineer. not to copy or duplicate, but to replace the woofers!

I have a pair of subwoofers and the drivers were made by Eminence. they drivers are proprietary and Eminence will not tell me the specs.

Are there any good programs out there where i can input the box size and square port sizes and figure out what drivers would work best???

I have found several programs for round ports. but none that i can input data... two ports, each 3" high by 9" wide by 12" long etc.... Most programs you input driver data and box size and it tells you what the port area should be.

Zc

Start off by working out the net volume of the box by taking the internal volume and subtracting from that the vent volume and the driver volume.

Then work out the tuning frequency by putting the net box volume and vent end size into my vent designer spreadsheet*, and playing with the tuning frequency until you hit the vent length that yours is. Or just use the Goal Seek function if you are familiar with spreadsheets.

It would be better if you could just measure the tuning frequency - any driver would do as long as it seals.

Then use the gained data to choose a driver, making sure of course it fits the cutout and hole pattern.

Also check if the electronics does any boosting or shaping.

*On my website in the Utilities section, you need OpenOffice to use the spreadsheet or convert it on the net into a format of your choice.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.