Paint fading on speakers? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th July 2007, 10:26 PM   #1
Glowbug is offline Glowbug  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Paint fading on speakers?

Finally came out of the full range section for once, figured this applied to the whole thing

I'm thinking about painting a pair of bare MDF cabinets I'm deciding on picking up...obviously priming them well, using sanding sealer, doing it right. Have any of you with painted MDF cabinets noticed a problem with the color fading after a few years? These aren't going to be in direct sunlight, but it still worries me...should it?
Old 17th July 2007, 07:12 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Paint Fading

This should not be an issue if the cabinets are not exposed to direct sunlight for prolonged periods.

Over a LONG period, any surface finish may deteriorate, as the film strength weakens over time, but I see no reason why painted mdf shoud be more inclined to do so than any other painted finish..

HTR
Old 17th July 2007, 07:58 AM   #3
MadMutt is offline MadMutt  Australia
diyAudio Member

Have a look at Shinobiwan's posts.
He's done several 'painted' speakers.
Current one he's playing with automotive paint.
Ferrari red actually.
Old 17th July 2007, 08:32 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Paint

If it helps at all; I have a pair of party speakers that have only 2 coats of Acrylic gloss house paint on them, primed with an oil based sealer heavily diluted with mineral turpentine and never sanded back.
They have lived on the back verandha for the last 3 years, some rain some sun and have only just started to blister, so I would say that inside and protedted from direct sun even a cheap paint job should last 10 years.
What has started to deteriorate ( not unexpected) is the foam surrounds on the RadioShack/Tandy mid-woofers

Hide this!Advertise here!