Paint fading on speakers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Finally came out of the full range section for once, figured this applied to the whole thing :)

I'm thinking about painting a pair of bare MDF cabinets I'm deciding on picking up...obviously priming them well, using sanding sealer, doing it right. Have any of you with painted MDF cabinets noticed a problem with the color fading after a few years? These aren't going to be in direct sunlight, but it still worries me...should it?

Paint Fading

This should not be an issue if the cabinets are not exposed to direct sunlight for prolonged periods.

Over a LONG period, any surface finish may deteriorate, as the film strength weakens over time, but I see no reason why painted mdf shoud be more inclined to do so than any other painted finish..

HTR

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Paint

If it helps at all; I have a pair of party speakers that have only 2 coats of Acrylic gloss house paint on them, primed with an oil based sealer heavily diluted with mineral turpentine and never sanded back.
They have lived on the back verandha for the last 3 years, some rain some sun and have only just started to blister, so I would say that inside and protedted from direct sun even a cheap paint job should last 10 years.
What has started to deteriorate ( not unexpected) is the foam surrounds on the RadioShack/Tandy mid-woofers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.