Visaton TI-100

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Zaph measured these and will be posting them on his site soon. I just wanted to share what he forwarded to me.

Thanks,

C

Attachments

• visaton-ti100-fr.gif
    visaton-ti100-fr.gif
    12.1 KB · Views: 1,820
Wait a minute... the distortion appears to stay well below 1% all the up to 5kHz, at which point the 2nd, 3rd and 4th harmonics represent 10kHz, 15kHz and 20kHz respectively.

It could sound great in the right system! I'm not sure about the huge magnet though. It seems a bit overkill.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Sorry, I must be having a bad day to be so grumpy.

First off, thank you Chris for sharing your personal results with us.

I would rate this driver above the TangBand W4 1337SA in the non-linear distortion department. This is probably the result of a better motor system.

On the other hand, what I was alluding to was that the cone's behaviour between 5-15Khz has prevented it from being a complete all rounder.

Compared to the HD below 1Khz, there is a slight jump up in distortion between 1-3Khz. This is probably related to the stiff cone break amplifying the HD components, and is not unlike some other metal cones like the SEAS Excel series. I have always suspected that drivers with this kind of harmonic distortion profile can sound "detailed", but sometimes "unforgiving"...

Now IIRC, Dennis Murphy said that this driver is great, but is a bit of a pain to work with. It's not god-sent midrange driver that many of us were hoping for. And from the FR measurements, I can see why- it would need a LOT of work to tame those double or triple peaks at 6-10Khz.

Once that's taken care of, I suspect it would make a great midrange driver.

Now if we could somehow mate the W4 1337SA's cone to the Ti100's motor...

Well,

I have been very interested in this driver based on tests in German magazines and the fact that it is shielded. Zaph had the following to say about it and I tend to agree:

"Just got done testing the Ti-100's. Not too bad. Excellent midrange non-linear distortion performance, changing to average as frequency goes higher. Relatively sensitive also. The best use for these would probably with a large format tweeter crossed low, around 1600hz maybe. You could cross higher depending on how much that 3rd order HD bothers you."

I am thinking of using these with a BG Neo3PDR or the Visaton KE25SC. It would be cool to use the RAAL 140-15D but I have a new baby and spending 1k on a pair of tweeters is out of the question.

Bother. I've been waiting for Zaph's comments on these. I was really hoping this would sit between W22s and a scan-speak aluminium tweeter in a 'detailed' sounding system.

Anything metal compare favourably to the Ti100 or Tangband? The Tangband is going to be almost twice as expensive as in the US in europe, and only one supplier can get hold of it.

Anyone seen the TI100M? It is mentioned around the place, but not on Visaton's site, e.g. http://www.soundlabsgroup.com.au/p/V-1273-TI100M/Sound. It has a very strange ascending response curve :s

Charliemouse,

The Jordan JX92S likely would be superior to either the Visatron Ti100 or the TB W4-1337SA. The JX92S is a true full range driver with a 45 Hz resonance freq. and a 5 mm Xmax. It will go lower and higher than either the Visatron or TB drivers. Albeit at more cost though. In the UK you can likely get a resonable price for the JX92S.

Jim

Jim Griffin said:
Charliemouse,

The Jordan JX92S likely would be superior to either the Visatron Ti100 or the TB W4-1337SA. The JX92S is a true full range driver with a 45 Hz resonance freq. and a 5 mm Xmax. It will go lower and higher than either the Visatron or TB drivers. Albeit at more cost though. In the UK you can likely get a resonable price for the JX92S.

Jim

Jim,
That's fantastic. In many months of trying to work out the best design and reading thousands of pages, I failed to notice that driver, and it is interesting Wilmslow don't stock it. It took about 5 seconds to find details of it
here once you'd pointed it out. That really looks like good news for me... if only it was a 3 or 4 inch driver it would be perfect, but it looks like a superb candidate, and much better than the small excel midrange.

Now if I was using the W18 or smaller, I could use JXR6... But I do wonder if I can still use this one as mid in my
[XXLS,XXLS],W,M,T,M,W dipole. It has a large Xmax considering the tiny size, and as long as it is not allowed to go too low, should survive with no box-air support in dipole. Not the most open basket, but worth a thought. Still. If I can fit the 5 1/2 inch jordan into the design I'll go with that. It's just going to be a close call to have the tweeters at the right level as there are two 10" and a W22 underneath it! Might give them both a go on test baffles. [further exploring I note the design of the 2" driver relies on support from the cabinet, so I'd better re-think that one] They look usable drivers for other project.
Thanks again for suggestion :)

I have used a

JX92 based system for the last 9 years or so. I used a Manger based system in between. It is very nice within its limitations. Jim Griffins Tl design with a ribbon addresses these limitations quite nicely, and overall it both is resonable in cost and size.

I bought the TI-100's after hearing them in the Sonics Passion and the desire to do something different from the Jordans. (Just bored with the great sound I already have I guess!) To give you an idea of just how good the Jordan is, I used to own Sonus Faber Electa Amator I's. These use a Dynaudio Esotar and a Skaaning's Midbass, and the Jordan by itself is much better until you try to play it loud.

C

tktran303 said:

Think of it as a feature, and why it can sound so "detailed", and had several rave reviews.

Crossed at 1Khz, there's probably nothing to write home about.

I have actually used this driver in a 'commercial design'. The detail it gives is very reminiscant of the B200 however, it is VERY easy to 'bottom' this driver so, to that end, I would recommend using it in a 2 way design from about 500Hz upwards. But ur right. It is absolutely superb if you nip the top end down.

Ricky.:smash:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.