Inductor types and corresponding tonality

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a pair of two ways I've been playing around with. I'm considering doing some Xover updating. I'm confused about what tonality is possible with the different inductor types. Like Parts Express for instance, we've got air core....iron core.....copper foil.

What differences in sound do the difference inductors impart? Right now I have 16 gauge Air cores from Jantzen.

What difference might the more expensive copper foils give me???

Driver compliment is a 8" Dayton RS woofer and the the really nice RS tweeter.

Does getting bigger gauge inductors help anything? Dynamics? I know it increase power handling, but any sonic benefits?

Do caps make a bigger impact than inductors? I'm moving from the basic Dayton polys to some PIO Obligottos.

thanks for any insight,
Tom

Hi Tommy

No one else seems to be replying so I will gave you my findings. Please remember though that this is based on my experience from building speakers over the years and others may have different experience.

Different inductors do make a difference. Air core are the best. Having said that I have found little difference if you do not let cored inductors saturate. Also as the value of the inductor rises above a few mh you will need to use cored inductors, for example in the filter associated with the base driver. However make sure that the wire is thick enough to carry the current. I have made a lot of inductors and have not found any advantage with any different wires; just make it thick enough to carry the current.

For capacitors Polypropylene are best and you can obtain values up to 10 or even 50 uf if you have a thick wallet. However above 5uf they are much more expensive than electrolytic. Having said that if you buy 105 degree electrolytics for use with the base filter I do not think you will hear any difference. However you should use polypropylene caps in the treble filter.

Different makes of capacitor do make a difference to the sound. Paying more does not always give you the sound you like. Experiment. I use 105 degree electrolytics from Rapid who stock dubellier caps and I buy polypropylene caps from maplin who stock lcr caps. I make my own inductors with thick wire using ferrite cores for values above 3 mh.

Others may have other experience.

Don

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.