Madisound.com

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A question for some of you Home Audio buffs. I have been searching madisound.com and am wanting to build a 5.1 home system. I'm going to make my own enclosures and had been looking at Scan Speak for the midranges but don't know for sure what to do for the tweets, midbass, and woofers. I had thought about doing a center channel with 2 5.5" Revs and a tweet. The left and right with a tweet, 2 5.5" revs or the 7", and 2 12's of some sort. For the surround I was going to use a set of tweets and the 5.5" revs. I've heard great things about the scan speak drivers for their nautral sound. I have used Dynaudio in my vehicle before and really like the sound but I'm thinking of going a different route, or maybe the Morel route which is pretty close to the same. If anyone has any better ideas feel free to let me know what you think. It will be a somewhat limited budget so I don't want to spend $400 on a single tweet. I want something that is going to be VERY realistic.

I agree with m0tion. Buying nice drivers is not so hard, but crossover design and integration is a different story. I think the best way for us to help is to give us some information about your budget, your room size, etc. Will it be in a dedicated theater room? Are their size constraints or placement constraints? What electronics are you using? Do the drivers need to be shielded?

I am a big fan of full range drivers myself. Planet10 has hundreds of designs on his websites using inexpentive full range drivers. The enclosures range from rather simple to quite complex.

Josh

xtremekustomz said:
I'm probably just going to keep it simple.

:up:

You mentioned midrange drivers as apparently different from the "midbass", so I'm guessing you want the front speakers to be 3-ways and the surrounds to be 2 ways?

For optimal phantom imaging effects and whatnot, it's probably a good idea to keep the midrange performance identical across all 5 speakers. So you might be better off making 5 x 2-ways + subwoofer instead of mixing and matching 2-ways with 3-ways.

Alternatively, it might be ok to mix 2-way surrounds with 3-way front speakers as long as the drivers and enclosures are the same all round.

CeramicMan said:

:up:

You mentioned midrange drivers as apparently different from the "midbass", so I'm guessing you want the front speakers to be 3-ways and the surrounds to be 2 ways?

For optimal phantom imaging effects and whatnot, it's probably a good idea to keep the midrange performance identical across all 5 speakers. So you might be better off making 5 x 2-ways + subwoofer instead of mixing and matching 2-ways with 3-ways.

Alternatively, it might be ok to mix 2-way surrounds with 3-way front speakers as long as the drivers and enclosures are the same all round.

I had originally thought about doing a 3-way for my left and right mainly so when I listen to straight out music (in stereo) I will have volume and clarity. I've actually got some raw drivers sitting around that I'm thinking about playing around with for the meantime and see how it goes. Building crossovers and things like that is not a problem. I may just buy the scans and use them in my truck LOL

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.