Madisound.com - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th July 2007, 01:19 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Madisound.com

A question for some of you Home Audio buffs. I have been searching madisound.com and am wanting to build a 5.1 home system. I'm going to make my own enclosures and had been looking at Scan Speak for the midranges but don't know for sure what to do for the tweets, midbass, and woofers. I had thought about doing a center channel with 2 5.5" Revs and a tweet. The left and right with a tweet, 2 5.5" revs or the 7", and 2 12's of some sort. For the surround I was going to use a set of tweets and the 5.5" revs. I've heard great things about the scan speak drivers for their nautral sound. I have used Dynaudio in my vehicle before and really like the sound but I'm thinking of going a different route, or maybe the Morel route which is pretty close to the same. If anyone has any better ideas feel free to let me know what you think. It will be a somewhat limited budget so I don't want to spend $400 on a single tweet. I want something that is going to be VERY realistic.
Old 12th July 2007, 01:31 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I would really urge you to build a published design from a reputable designer.
Old 12th July 2007, 01:43 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

The more I think about it...I'm probably just going to keep it simple. I've done alot in vehicles and things like that dealing with sq and I know home is different. Easier in my opinion.
Old 12th July 2007, 02:15 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I agree with m0tion. Buying nice drivers is not so hard, but crossover design and integration is a different story. I think the best way for us to help is to give us some information about your budget, your room size, etc. Will it be in a dedicated theater room? Are their size constraints or placement constraints? What electronics are you using? Do the drivers need to be shielded?

I am a big fan of full range drivers myself. Planet10 has hundreds of designs on his websites using inexpentive full range drivers. The enclosures range from rather simple to quite complex.

Josh
Old 12th July 2007, 02:56 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by xtremekustomz
I'm probably just going to keep it simple.

You mentioned midrange drivers as apparently different from the "midbass", so I'm guessing you want the front speakers to be 3-ways and the surrounds to be 2 ways?

For optimal phantom imaging effects and whatnot, it's probably a good idea to keep the midrange performance identical across all 5 speakers. So you might be better off making 5 x 2-ways + subwoofer instead of mixing and matching 2-ways with 3-ways.

Alternatively, it might be ok to mix 2-way surrounds with 3-way front speakers as long as the drivers and enclosures are the same all round.
Old 12th July 2007, 03:00 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CeramicMan

You mentioned midrange drivers as apparently different from the "midbass", so I'm guessing you want the front speakers to be 3-ways and the surrounds to be 2 ways?

For optimal phantom imaging effects and whatnot, it's probably a good idea to keep the midrange performance identical across all 5 speakers. So you might be better off making 5 x 2-ways + subwoofer instead of mixing and matching 2-ways with 3-ways.

Alternatively, it might be ok to mix 2-way surrounds with 3-way front speakers as long as the drivers and enclosures are the same all round.
I had originally thought about doing a 3-way for my left and right mainly so when I listen to straight out music (in stereo) I will have volume and clarity. I've actually got some raw drivers sitting around that I'm thinking about playing around with for the meantime and see how it goes. Building crossovers and things like that is not a problem. I may just buy the scans and use them in my truck LOL
Old 12th July 2007, 04:58 PM   #7
Petriej is offline Petriej  United States
diyAudio Member

Check out Zaph's audio site, he's got a bunch of cool projects as well.

http://www.zaphaudio.com/
Old 12th July 2007, 06:07 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I would definitely second the Zaph Audio suggestion - maybe consider the ZD5 if you want to use Scan Speaks.
Old 12th July 2007, 06:50 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Is there anyone that has similar sites that I could look at? It seems that the lower priced speakers actually performed very well. I wish he had put out a rating system just on sound quality.
Old 12th July 2007, 07:52 PM   #10
ruerose is offline ruerose  Canada
diyAudio Member

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/acti...tarticle/1815/

That's probably up your ally in budget and instruction.

Hide this!Advertise here!